PDA

View Full Version : Filtration w/ Bio Balls

discusnovice
02-20-2003, 11:46 AM
I am not sure if this is the proper forum for this question but here goes. I have a Whisper 30/60 filter which has a filter bag filled with Activated Carbon and a bio sponge.

I understand that A/C is not a good idea in discus tanks. MY QUESTION Should I remove the filtration material and the A/C and replace with bio-balls?? Or are the two bio sponge blocks enough of a media to allow the proper amount of bacteria to grow?? Is MORE friendly bacteria BETTER??

THANKS!!

jklnbrg
02-20-2003, 11:52 AM
I always try to err on the side of more rather than less. I would dump the A/C and fill the filter with as much material as will fit without compacting it. (Compacting might lead to dead spots). Sponge is fine, ceramic noodles, lava rock, anything porous.
In my 75 growout tank I have 11 3 inch discus. I filter with a Rena Filstar canister filled with sponge slugs I got from Jehmco. Additional filtration is from 2 large air-driven sponge filters.

Hope this helps!

John

Smokey
02-21-2003, 02:43 AM
Yes, deffinately get rid of the charcol/carbon... not good stuff!!
The two [2] bio-sponges will allow the good bacteria to colonize and "consume " pollutents. Just remember, do not let the bio-sponges fill with debre and crap... always use a mechanical prefilter foam.
Like John said ; the more the merrier.

Smokey

Gnome
02-21-2003, 06:14 AM
Don't use activated carbon for discus it will take away their slime coat, also sponge filter is good for nitrifying bacterial growth, bio-balls also good option to sponge, I use them in my eheim 2231. it works great. as like smokey says, don't let sponge filter to take care your mechanical filtration use floss or other materials. I use whisper #1