PDA

View Full Version : Blue Green Algea ?!?!!!!

jimmydtsm
02-20-2003, 11:36 PM
I need Info on Blue green algea. Has anyone had this problem and if so what can i do to get rid of it? I need help, i just noticed it today and i have spent many bucks on my tank and don't want to lose everything...

if you have any info for me on this can you please email me at
grandeprairie@petlandsuperstores.com

mark the email attn: james
thanks

Carol_Roberts
02-21-2003, 01:25 AM
Are you talking about cyano bacteria which is a deep blue/green color film that grows on everything? IF yes, erythromycin will kill it. Follow directions on the package.

ronrca
02-21-2003, 11:20 AM
Agree with Carol! I have used it a couple of times already to get rid of cyano!

Since we are on this topic of cyano, is there anything else besides erythromycin that will get rid of it! Here is Canada, we can not get EM tablets anymore. Now what? Will metronidazole work instead? I have some still from before, the powder form and also HTH product from Jungle!

jklnbrg
02-21-2003, 11:34 AM
Good water circulation in the area of the BGA will reduce it. I have heard but never used Hydrogen Peroxide in a syringe squired in small amounts directly onto the BGA. Use this with caution!
Is this a planted tank?

John

ronrca
02-21-2003, 03:48 PM
Yes, planted tank! Circulation will be a pain to do everywhere in the tank. Hydrogen Peroxide would take me a week to do! Both probably work really good however impractical. Its a 90G btw! :-\

jklnbrg
02-21-2003, 03:52 PM
See if you can get your family Doc to prescribe Erythromycin for you. Maybe then you can get enough to not cost an arm and a leg for the tank and submit it for your health insurance to pay!! ;)

John