PDA

View Full Version : Live Mysis?

Paulio
02-21-2003, 11:02 AM
Hi all,

Anybody know if it is possible to culture live Mysis? If so where do you get the goodies?

Thanks,
Paul

brewmaster15
02-21-2003, 11:11 AM
Hi Paul,
we have a resident expert on mysis here.. Patsy G. She owns PE Mysis. We had a discussion about rearing live mysis here....

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=2921;sta rt=0

hth,
al

02-21-2003, 11:24 AM
After hearing all the Raves about Mysis shrimp I decided to try some. It took a long time to get our fish to eat the stuff. It also seemed like it was kinda dirty... there was other particles along with the shrimp that floated on the top and suspend in the water column.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Mike

April
02-21-2003, 11:29 AM
i never noticed that..but i found it polluted the water and smelled like a fishcannery. not sure my package was fresh. but heard it varies as to freshness.
i also heard they taste rather rich...like buttery. lol.

02-21-2003, 11:43 AM
Yes April, It was harder to control the water quality. It seemed like the fish never ate it all, and it was pain to get the free floating stuff out of the water column.

Mike

brewmaster15
02-21-2003, 11:50 AM
Mike,
I have found it really depends on your source, and if you rinse them first. I usually rinse them 1-2times and and pour off the water. The remainder is usually very clean.

For someone like you with all those tanks, it might be a pain, but the nutritional value might be a benefit.

-al

02-21-2003, 03:29 PM
Hey

The mysis I use have PE's name right on the bag. Are you using PE brand mike? My fish wont eat hikari mysis(saltwater mysis?) But I was amazed at how they reacted to the PE. Ate them on the first try, no hesitation. Ive found them to be really clean....and no stink at all, and very little liquid in the bag...just shrimp.
They are kind of pricy here In Calgary...but well worth the price IMO.

Tony
Damn....I should be a salesman ;D

jklnbrg
02-21-2003, 04:55 PM
My fish eagerly eat Hikari Mysis... well, sorta. They suck in the shrimp, then out comes the head. It's fascinating to watch but the heads piled up in the corner of the tank are a bit disconcerting.
After a while all the heads disappear too. I guess they are second choice!

John

Jason
02-21-2003, 05:15 PM
april! ssshhhh :-X

the pe mysis are great but the quality is not consistent, you'll get packs that have no smell or debris, and some packs that are all broken peices and reek.

if they are the good fresh ones just defrost them in a net then rince, throw them in the tank and they almost trigger a feeding response by the way they float through the water.

after your fish are hooked on them just chuck frozen pieces in.

02-21-2003, 07:15 PM
I do not Like them Either!

To much work and better foods out there IMO!
Cary Gld!

Discusgeo
02-21-2003, 08:34 PM
My Discus just suck these MYSIS down, in fact the don't even reach the bottom half the time. I got mine thru Fish King who get's them from Patsy. I rinse them off a little bit and in the tank they go. Discus have them all consumed in under 5 minutes. I gave up the dirty Beefheart in favor of MYSIS
George

redlines
02-22-2003, 01:32 AM
Mike,

Rinse, Rinse, Rinse & don't be supprised if the fish spit theyes out too. :P

I have been using them in my beefheart mix now instead of feeding them by themself.

Andy

Paulio
02-22-2003, 01:37 AM
Thanks for the info Brew!

Hi Paul,
we have a resident expert on mysis here.. Patsy G. She owns PE Mysis. We had a discussion about rearing live mysis here....

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=2921;sta rt=0

hth,
al