PDA

View Full Version : Hatching timeline

Carol_Roberts
02-23-2003, 07:28 PM
Timeline can vary by temperature and maybe other factors.

Here's my last spawn - 29 gallon tank - GH 6 - pH 7.6 - temp 82F

Day 1, Eggs laid laid, fertilized ones turn dark about 24+ hours later - hatched about 55 hours later

Day 3, Wrigglers, (Mom removed - leaving for new home)

Day 5, Freeswimming (counted as day born)

Day 12, Eating BBS (one week old)

Day 18, Picking at CBW (nearly 2 weeks old)

Day 23, still w/dad eating BBS, CBW

Day 25, eating CBW (nearly 3 weeks old)

Day 26, moved dad (3 weeks old)

Day 32, moved babies to 55 gallon (4 weeks old)

njdiscus
02-23-2003, 10:46 PM
Thanks Carol! I also wanted to know exactly this timeline. And this is great timing since my pair spawned yesterday.

Mark

shamsoo
02-24-2003, 12:30 AM
hi carol , it looks like I am reading Captain's log, lol :D :D ;D ;D

Carol_Roberts
02-24-2003, 12:41 AM
You guys should all have little "log books" to keep track of discus information. Then next time you can answer the questions :heart1:

Gnome
02-24-2003, 08:33 AM
Carol
can you described how big are they in your time line?
cause my fry isn't growing fast they stay small in about 2 and half weeks already and they are about less than or about 1 cm, I wonder why.
thx. my water gh is around 7-8.
Gnome.

shamsoo
02-24-2003, 12:20 PM
pls accept my apologies Carol if you mind about captain's log

Carol_Roberts
02-24-2003, 08:01 PM
Hi Shamsoo:
No offense taken. I thought it was a funny comment. I do keep a log and find it helpful :heart1:

Hi Gnome:
I have posted pictures in this section showing my babies at various ages. Look in middle to last part of December and August for pictures of fry. Your sound very small :-\

larry lob
02-26-2003, 11:40 AM
GNOME,

i bet thats not the first time someone told you it looked small ROFLMO :P

Larry

Gnome
02-26-2003, 09:15 PM
GNOME,

i bet thats not the first time someone told you it looked small ROFLMO :P

Larry

lol Larry,
This is the first time!...and I don't think that YOURS is any BETTER ;D
ROFLMAS!
Gnome.

02-27-2003, 12:19 PM
Great timeline chart Carol :thumbsup:

Larry..... Gnome :o

Tyler
03-09-2003, 12:26 PM
Carol.....i love the timeline, big help.
Did you try feeding any crushed flakes around the time you introduced CBW??? And the CBW you fed, did you cut them up a little bit to make them smaller for the fry?? One last question.....on what day did you stop feeding BBS??
Thanks

Tyler

Carol_Roberts
03-09-2003, 06:00 PM
Hi Tyler:
I quit the bbs at 20 days when the fry were able to eat whole cbw. I never chop up cbw - they are always fed whole and live. When less than 3 weeks, the discus babies bite off pieces. When the parents eat flakes or tetra bits little crushed bits are leftover - I don't add extra.

Tyler
03-09-2003, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the extra info Carol......they really are neat to watch grow and mature!

Tyler

cobalt
03-10-2003, 02:40 PM
well compiled Carol!
Short and to the point data!
The way it should be. :cool: :wave:
Cobalt

chirohorn
03-12-2003, 01:29 PM
Here's an another excellent timeline w/pics:

http://www.discusfish.us/default.cfm?page_var=discusgrow

Carol_Roberts
03-13-2003, 03:06 AM
Thank you chirohorn! This is an excellent article with pictures by Henry Kong of Discus1.com

Gnome
03-13-2003, 09:53 AM

http://discus.home.attbi.com/discusgrow.htm

Thx Chirohorn, this helps, btw in the third picture it says "4 day old free swimmers" is it meant by 4 days after free swimmers or 4 days after they hatched?
Gnome.

Carol_Roberts
03-13-2003, 04:33 PM
4 days after freeswimming . . . . first day freeswimming is considered birthday

Gnome
03-14-2003, 04:36 AM
got it carol, thanks.....
I'm now beginning again to try in planted since I don't dare to pull out the eggs so i will leave them and see if they'll survive, but this time I won't t do the same mistake like last time ( last time the eggs are lost between the gravels) now I put a firm flat plastic around under the cone so they can pick up the eggs that fall w/ out having trouble w/ the gravels, see if they will survive...

wildthing
05-06-2003, 08:59 AM
The numbers Carol has given are approximates & will vary according to temperature for hatching & free swimming. Knowing when to remove babies from the parents often comes with knowing the individuals in the pair . Sometimes you will need to remove one parent or the other to prevent egg eating or fry eating or fighting. Other times neither parent is good & eggs need art. rearing ( if they are important) . Light cycle also can play a part in the time line. Ususally i would recommend seperating the fry after about 10 days of free swimming . By this time they should be all eating BBS & nibbling on other things. After this often their insistant nibbling on the parent will cause the parent to eat them or kill them in a confined tank when normally in the wild they would just swim away.

hth

DW

http://wilddiscus.com

Willie
07-04-2003, 02:24 PM
After a couple of spawns under your belt, you can push for a little better growth by supplementing with bbs early on. All these times are based on Days Free Swimming (5 - 6 days after spawning).

Day 4 - Start feeding bbs. Frys will learn quickly to eat bbs. Parents quickly adapt to having your hand in the tank -- it gives them a break.

Day 11 - Pull babies, continue with bbs feeding.

Day 14 - Start weaning them to macrofood. I start with minced beefheart. They usually adjust within 24 hours.

This picture was taken when wrigglers first hatched. The frys are now 5 days free swimming, on the back of the Alenquer parents. They get a squirt of bbs whenever I walk past their tank.

Willie

P.S. Gnome: Those frys have very little chance of surviving in a planted tank. Plan on a bb breeder tank.

nokoto
08-30-2003, 07:49 PM
Hi all

I've stumbled accross your site today to find carol seems to be a active breeder, for give me if I'm wrong here...

I've attached a pic of the male that I have, I kept the pair for over a year and half now, and thought about breeding them, I was wondering if I could ask a few questions etc, as this part of the hobby I'm new to, thanks for the time in reading this, I would be grateful of any advice, since I did not know this site exsisted till tonight...

Thanks in advance Wayne

Carol_Roberts
08-30-2003, 11:15 PM
Hi Wayne and welcome to Simply Discus :wave:
There are many people who post here that are very experienced with breeding discus. Feel free to ask any questions you want. There is a wealth of information on this site . . . You may answer a lot of your questions just reading other threads in this section

jamesdeannn
09-01-2003, 01:36 AM
hiya carol & everybody,

this a great site!

i have had a couple of discus in a community tank and low and behold they just started laying eggs last week to my surprise :o

So all of a sudden im a breeder/daddy :D
have moved the eggs and parents to a spare 80 gal.tank i had and today the eggs have hatched :)

so i have 30 wrigglers,is that many?,was wondering what a normal batch no.was ?

also whats bbs and cbw?

when and what should i feed them and do i need a filter in the tank?

thanks for your help n advance

james

jeddah
09-01-2003, 08:57 AM
Hi James,

I'm new here too.

BBS=baby brine shrimp
CBW=california black worms

don't ask for more from me, that's all I know,LOL ;D
I am also learning.

You can ask your LFS (oops---local fish shop) if they have this fish food available.

I am just concern to give you quick idea so that you can feed your babies tonight w/ bbs or cbw.

jovel

jamesdeannn
09-01-2003, 05:33 PM
cool thanks

im slowly getting up to speed ...
what r u doing in jeddah?
my brother is going to move and work there next week
im on msn messenger jamesdeannn@hotmail.com if u have that :)

james

jeddah
09-02-2003, 01:47 AM
Hi James, I'm a computer guy, Computer Engineer. I work for a Shipping Co. I'm originally from Philippines.

Your brother is coming up here from NZ to work???
Hmmmm... ???Which company in Jeddah? Is he coming from NZ directly?

Maybe I can be of help to him in some sort.
my email: jovelm@aetshipping.com

Will he be bringing-over here some discus?? ;D

Regards,
Jovel

DISCUS USA
09-27-2003, 07:20 PM
Guys this happened today..thats the mom..the father is on the other side ,i read all the helpful info above but the issuse of lighting im not clear on...do i keep the light on for 24 hours or more during the dads fertilization..Carol please help..its my first time and seems everyone is out of town that helps me on these things.

Carol_Roberts
09-28-2003, 12:32 PM
Hi Hector:
I keep the tank light off and a small room light/lamp on 24/7. this gives them the privacy and quiet they need with just enough light so they don't spook when you come in the room

DISCUS USA
10-02-2003, 07:25 PM
Thanks Carol..thats what they guy i bought the pair from told me to use on the daily ..night lights ,but i forgot to ask him about lighting once i got eggs.

melvindy
11-05-2003, 11:42 AM
Hi Carol! I was just wondering how your pair succeeded in spawning considering the ph level is 7.6 and according to the books i read previously, the ideal and satisfactory ph level for breeding discus is between 5.5 to 7. Ph 7.6 is alkaline and discus love soft or acidic waters. Does this mean that discus could be bred in ordinary tap water? Hope you could elaborate more on this query of mine coz my discus just paired off a few days ago and i'm expecting them to spawn any time soon. If PH 7.6 will not harm the eggs then i wouldn't have make any more adjustments w/ the water parameters since i grew them out on tap water. Thanks in advance. :-)

Carol_Roberts
11-05-2003, 07:01 PM
My tap water is toohard for eggs to hatch, so I mix RO with my tap. I believe the hardness of the RO/tap mix was around GH 6 and pH 7.6. I don't have huge spawns - maybe 80 - 100 babies, but that is more than enough for me.

nicholas76
11-09-2003, 06:23 AM
Hey guys and girls

The time line is a great idea. Can I suggest someone do another timeline for say " how to get a pair to spawn"

eg. day 1 drop temp to 27 , do 20% w/c etc etc etc

it would be good to see how experienced or profesionals get there fish breeding, or if we can correlate some similarities through a time line.

Regards
Nick76

jim_shedden
12-03-2003, 11:50 AM
Carol..............I notice that you take the female away as soon as the eggs are laid. Is this always the case or does it depend on the pair.
Are you just seperating the pair with a barrier or do you actually remove the female?
If you take the female out where do you put her? In a community tank or on her own?
Do you ever put her back in after the eggs have hatched?

Jim

Carol_Roberts
12-03-2003, 12:38 PM
Hi Jim:
I just raise one spawn at a time, so I pull the female if she looks like she wants to lay eggs again. Either the male or the female can be pulled. I put her in another tank by herself if I have one open - otherwise a divider works. I wouldn't put her in a community tank by herself as the other fish might gang up on her. I have never tried to put a fish back after pulling it. Usually the fry are 7 or more days freeswimming before I pull the female.

In the timeline above the reason the female was pulled is that she was scheduled to leave for Texas with John Nicholson.

jim_shedden
12-03-2003, 12:45 PM
Carol : the problem I am having is that both my female ss are eating the eggs. I think that I may have to try the divider trick.
Thanks
Jim

theholidayfarm
01-17-2004, 11:59 PM
Hi i'm new!!! I have a pair of discus which jus gave birth 3 days ago. They are all eaten up by the third day which is today. if the colour of the egg is red, is it not fertile? or is there any other possibilities tt it is something to do with the unhealthy egg or sperm? ???

Carol_Roberts
01-18-2004, 12:08 AM
If they haven't turned black by day three either the male did not fertilize the eggs or the water is too hard (high in minerals)

wiseone
02-16-2004, 04:11 PM
Hi theholidayfarm, welcome to the board

read this 2 threads

1. http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=6;action=display;threadid=16210

2. http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=6;action=display;threadid=15828

HTH

Hi i'm new!!! I have a pair of discus which jus gave birth 3 days ago. They are all eaten up by the third day which is today. if the colour of the egg is red, is it not fertile? or is there any other possibilities tt it is something to do with the unhealthy egg or sperm? ???

gillyweed
02-19-2004, 08:34 AM
Carol,

I have a pair that spawned in the evening of 2/16/04. Both parents seemed to be very cooperative.

What day should I start brewing the BBS for the fries, counting from the day they hatched (which is just in the wee hour this morning, 2/19/04)? :o :o :o

gw

Carol_Roberts
02-19-2004, 11:29 AM
Day 4 or 5 freewswimming

gillyweed
02-19-2004, 12:01 PM
Carol,

Thanks for your quick response. But I'm still confused!

Do you mean "day 4 or 5 freeswimming" to begin feeding the BBS or to begin setting up for a brine shrimp hatchery?

gw

Carol_Roberts
02-19-2004, 12:06 PM
Start hatching them then and feed after 24 hours -or however long it takes. Mine really don't eat them good until about day 7

gillyweed
02-19-2004, 05:24 PM
Ok. So the fries will be grazing on their parents for 4, 5 days before they eat BBS! And I should start the Brine Shrimp hatchery at day 4, 5 free swimming!

Thanks Carol.

gw

Carol_Roberts
02-19-2004, 06:16 PM
That's what I do.

gillyweed
02-21-2004, 11:08 AM
Carol,

Free-swimming stage provide another challenge! All little moving targets were eaten by both parents! May be next time that I'll need to setup the brine shrimp hatchery, not now!!! :(

gw

Kevin11d
02-21-2004, 12:25 PM
Hi Carol,

Why do we have to remove the female on the 3rd day? My pair are fighting over the eggs. I use an eggcrate to sepearte the female and let the male to guard the eggs.

Do you know how why my pair will fight over the eggs?

Kevin

Carol_Roberts
02-21-2004, 02:06 PM
Hi Kevin:
You don't have to seperate them. I did because the female was leaving for Texas or in other cases the female was fighting or wanted to lay eggs again.

theholidayfarm
03-07-2004, 07:12 AM
hi carol!!! thanks.. my egg just spawn and i think they hatch... how do u tell? i saw some dark patches moving

theholidayfarm
03-07-2004, 07:12 AM
i do not mean just spawn just now is bout 4-5 days ago.

Carol_Roberts
03-07-2004, 11:58 AM
When they hatch tails poke out and they wiggle or vibrate.

theholidayfarm
03-09-2004, 07:07 AM
izzit veri obvious? the eggs are again eaten up.

Carol_Roberts
03-09-2004, 11:43 AM
very obvious!

theholidayfarm
04-15-2004, 09:35 PM
my fish laid eggs last tuesday. i dun noe when the eggs hatch as my light was off throughout the whole process as i had previous encounter of babies being eaten the nxt day after i switch on the light.i think the babies went onto the parents' body only on the 7th day. which is on tuesdae. when do i start feeding BBS? izzit on the nxt tuesdae which is 1 wk later? ??? :-\

Carol_Roberts
04-15-2004, 11:56 PM
Some people start feeding bbs 4 days after freeswimming. Mine usually begin to eat them about 7 days freeswimming

theholidayfarm
04-16-2004, 09:48 PM
wad do u mean by freeswimming? izzit the day when the eggs hatch or izzit when the babies go onto the body?

Carol_Roberts
04-16-2004, 10:49 PM
The eggs hatch and wiggle on the breeding cone. Then they leave the cone and are free swimming in the tank. (not attached to the breeding cone anymore)

theholidayfarm
04-17-2004, 12:57 AM
thks... do u noe wad colour will my babies fishes be when they grow up? i am veri curous bout it. ;D

theholidayfarm
04-17-2004, 04:39 AM
This is a more recent photo taken today... the blue one is the male and the orange one is the female.

Carol_Roberts
04-17-2004, 09:15 AM
You should get a mix of cobalts and turquoise

theholidayfarm
04-17-2004, 09:05 PM
okay... thanks! i'hv started a bbs hatchery ytd...

SpideySteve
04-22-2004, 03:49 PM
Carol ... this is a great thread ... thanks! Just one question to add here ....

If/when eggs are fertilized, how long does it take to see some eyes of the developing fry inside the eggs?

Carol_Roberts
04-22-2004, 04:21 PM
Depends on water temperature - 24 hours or so ;D

SpideySteve
04-22-2004, 04:24 PM
Awesome! Thanks Carol.

Looks like I've got some babies growing! Crap ... in the community tank too, which I wasn't counting on. This is the pair's first spawn too, which is even more surprising to me. But they're guarding those eggs like crazy which is great to see. They're a great looking pair of Stendker Santarems.

Whatever happens with this batch of their eggs, I'll move this pair out into their own 29g afterwards.

theholidayfarm
04-23-2004, 09:41 PM
HI... this pic is taken 2 days ago. i wanna take the babies out tml. izzit possible?

theholidayfarm
04-23-2004, 09:42 PM
sorry.. this is the pic.

Carol_Roberts
04-23-2004, 10:37 PM
Depends on how often you can feed the babies. They are pretty little - can you feed them every 2 hours say 8 - 10 times per day?

theholidayfarm
04-23-2004, 10:45 PM
okay.. i'll try

Geodiscus
05-08-2004, 09:19 AM
Great Thread :) I have finally had my pair of blue snakeskins pair and mate with my first fertilized batch of eggs! ;D The pair is only14 months old.I am a little dissapponted at the hatch rate. I have pretty optimal conditions RO/TAP-GH-3 PH-6.5 TEMP-82,Out of a few hundred eggs only 6 are wigglers,last night i counted 29 fertilized eggs,What happened in 7 hours?

http://home.comcast.net/~just4ofus/discuscone.JPG

Carol_Roberts
05-08-2004, 09:01 PM
Breakfast ;)

At least you know you have a breeding pair - next time you'll get more.

theholidayfarm
05-11-2004, 11:45 PM
yup... i agree... i have a question here... my first batch of babies originally contain 29 fishes now left wif only bout 16... will they continue to die?

Carol_Roberts
05-11-2004, 11:58 PM
Are the parents eating them? If not water quality may be the problem. BBS foul the water quickly. Do more water changes and squeeze out the filters in dechlorinated water.

theholidayfarm
05-12-2004, 12:00 AM
I have alreadie seperated from the parents and the parents had it 2nd batch alr... i nv use filter too and i use dechlorinated water to change the water daily

magic1980
08-07-2004, 11:43 PM
Hi Shamsoo:
No offense taken. I thought it was a funny comment. I do keep a log and find it helpful :heart1:

Hi Gnome:
I have posted pictures in this section showing my babies at various ages. Look in middle to last part of December and August for pictures of fry. Your sound very small :-\

hi carol, had search the dec to aug but cant seems to find the pic of fry. hmmm, can u help?

maybe can u help direct me to that thread.
wanna see the growth of my fries as compared to others.
thks a million.

Carol_Roberts
08-08-2004, 12:04 AM
Here's freeswimming to 13 weeks
http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/breeding_genetics/fry_rearing/pbxrt.shtml

magic1980
08-08-2004, 12:39 AM
wow.
once again, thks carol.

DannyB.
03-22-2005, 07:54 PM

Day 1, Eggs laid laid, fertilized ones turn dark about 24+ hours later - hatched about 55 hours later

Day 32, moved babies to 55 gallon (4 weeks old)Hi Carol Roberts
My DISCUS has laid eggs in the tank with other fish . can you please help me by what should I do.

Carol_Roberts
03-22-2005, 08:41 PM
Eggs probably will not survive ina community tank. If you want to ttry to breed discus you'll want to set up a bare bottom 29 and cycle a sponge filter. Move the pair after the fitler is fully cycled. It will be fine to let them practice in teh big tank until the breeder tank is ready.

ChienHsu
06-08-2005, 09:56 AM
Hi! Carol:

Do I have to remove female? Or unless they fight to each other after spawn?

Chien

Carol_Roberts
06-08-2005, 03:33 PM
Only if they fight or she wants to spawn again.

ChienHsu
06-09-2005, 08:39 AM
Hi! Carol:

Thanks. One more question about remove the female to other tank. Can I move the female to the other tank with other male? Will they spawn together?

Thanks

Chien

Carol_Roberts
06-09-2005, 06:19 PM
They may spawn together. You have to be careful the first couple of days. He may be territorial and beat her up, harass her - not let her eat, or they may fall in love . . . .

Kenny's Discus
07-11-2005, 04:16 AM
Carol, I was just wondering if feeding frys with FROZEN bbs would work?
It just seems to me that frozen bbs are more convenient than hatching fresh BBS. Thanks

Carol_Roberts
07-11-2005, 03:41 PM
Frozen adult brine shrimp are too large for fry. Others have used frozen baby brine shrimp with moderate success.

Kenny's Discus
07-13-2005, 03:42 AM
Thanks again Carol. Your replies are always fast and experienced.

Robo
03-22-2006, 11:49 PM
Hi Carol,
Do you do any preventive treatment to your fry, if so, at which stage? I've heard of many cases where there's early mortality of fry. What sorts of preventive treatments can i give i.e. small dosage of formalin bath? Salt bath, so as to reduce pathogen attack on fry?

Thanks,
Rob

Carol_Roberts
03-23-2006, 05:59 PM
Lots of water changes - I only use meds if needed

Robo
03-23-2006, 08:48 PM
Thanks Carol.

MississaugaJohn
05-27-2006, 12:40 PM
I haved my pair from the community tank to a 20gallon tank about 6 weeks ago they have spawened 3 weeks in a row every Wednesday, first time we had wigglers and then they were eaten not sure by who, the next two times did not get even to wiggler stage eaten..
any suggestions
1 - remove the male after eggs are laid
2 - remove female
( which one is ussually the culprit)
any other suggestions appreciated..thank you

vera
12-19-2007, 01:15 PM
Hi evyryone
my pair just laid,shell i continue fedding them,male looks hungry when he comes to the front glass:confused::confused:
thank u

thomasfoo
01-27-2008, 08:14 PM
Chirohon wrote:

http://www.discusfish.us/default.cfm...var=discusgrow

It has no pictures, only 21 pages of plain Words .doc text containing very basic info. :mad: :mad: :mad: Nothing close to the book as shown in the advert. I am asking for refund. Wish me luck :)

fishkeeper1
04-21-2008, 10:59 PM
Hi, I was wondering if you could tell me if it is normal for the eggs to turn white? My pair do their thing every week now but most of the eggs have been turning white and after about the 4th or 5th day they give up on them and eat them and start all over again a couple days later. When they first started spawning I didn't notice the eggs turning white. And the only time I have seen any that have hatched were eaten by the female right away. But seems like each week there are more and more of the white ones and fewer of the translucent ones. Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks,

Steve

Elite Aquaria
04-22-2008, 07:16 AM
Steve the eggs turn white when they are not fertilized...Are you sure you have a confirmed male? Also what is the water hardness in your breeding tank.

playaslk
07-01-2008, 11:09 PM
This is pretty new to me, and i am not an experienced discus breeder by any stretch but here is my story.

I picked up a few nice fish at a LFS that was closing down. The pair that formed is around 5 inch fish (both of them) snakeskin female and turq male. They laid their first batch on a filter intake and only 1 egg turned while after a few days. I wasnt expecting a hatch ofcourse but the eggs disappeared after a few days (guessing they ate them).

The tank is bb and there is 1 floating swordplant and a piece of driftwood in there. They just laid another batch and the male LOOKS like he is ferting the eggs but ofcourse i do not know. The eggs are brown/orange in size around 1mm in diameter. They look like a small version of russian red caviar (im russian, just had to get that in there). Fish are guarding ofcourse and thats it for now.

I know eggs turn dark if fertilized, how can i improve the chances of that happening?

The temp in there is 84.7. Fish are eating FBW, Tetra color granules and tetra flakes.

ANy suggestions help :)

HEki
01-16-2009, 06:16 AM

HI,
i have a question about when discus are considered to be born? As in post that i quoted they are born when they start to swim (day 5) and u start to count the days from that day on?

Best regards,
HEki

silent_thunder
03-30-2009, 12:02 PM
Whats CBW stand for,please...

Also have you ever tried liquid brine shrimp?

My pair has laid eggs every 5 days this month...no success yet with any latching onto the parents...

Its been a real bummer watching the eggs hatch out and then...die. grrrrr

judy
03-30-2009, 12:14 PM
if your pair is in the display tank along with other fish, the chances of ever raissing a batch of fry is prettym much zero. Spawning pairs need their own, bare-bottom tank with just a big sponge filter, the right water conditions, and something to spawn on. (I put a piece of driftwood with anubias and java fern in tehre, too, just to make it a bit more aesthetic.)

Chad Adams
04-26-2009, 12:20 PM
Whats CBW stand for,please...

CBW=California Blackworms?

Eddie
04-29-2009, 09:44 AM
CBW=California Blackworms?

Yes

JPLDISCUS
05-01-2009, 08:32 PM

Carol,

Very Nice time line thanks, question for you.
I have a pair which have spawned in a community tank with other discus.
They have been practicing for many weeks. Not sure how old they are, but old enough to laid eggs and guard them. My question is, do I moved them now or wait to see what happens to this spawn then let them start all over?
I would assume that be best.
What do I do if these eggs become fertilized which will hatch?
Thanks

Jim

Eddie
05-03-2009, 09:50 PM
Carol,

Very Nice time line thanks, question for you.
I have a pair which have spawned in a community tank with other discus.
They have been practicing for many weeks. Not sure how old they are, but old enough to laid eggs and guard them. My question is, do I moved them now or wait to see what happens to this spawn then let them start all over?
I would assume that be best.
What do I do if these eggs become fertilized which will hatch?
Thanks

Jim

Sorry Jim, Carol has not been on Simply for some time. Although I wish she was, we definitely miss her.

Eddie

grantbudd74
07-23-2010, 07:15 PM
I have looked through this and it seams hard to actually find out AT WHAT POINT DO THE FRY ATTACH TO MUM AND/DAD? I understand the first day of free swimming is birthday but do they attach on birthday or are they still using the egg sack to live off?

Is it normal to see fry swimming around for 24hrs + not attached yet later see them attached?

Eddie
07-25-2010, 06:47 AM
I have looked through this and it seams hard to actually find out AT WHAT POINT DO THE FRY ATTACH TO MUM AND/DAD? I understand the first day of free swimming is birthday but do they attach on birthday or are they still using the egg sack to live off?

Is it normal to see fry swimming around for 24hrs + not attached yet later see them attached?

Grant, seems like you have several threads going on the same topic. Some fry have difficulties attaching and some don't. I've seen fry free swim for 3 days and then finally attach. If there is one thing to remember about discus breeding, every pair is different and the fry develop differently. Nothing is exact.

Eddie

cnfish_718
02-03-2014, 08:29 AM
hi what is meaning of "BBS"? can you tell me full name of this?

Second Hand Pat
02-03-2014, 08:46 AM
hi what is meaning of "BBS"? can you tell me full name of this?

Baby Brine Shrimp and welcome to Simply Fang.
Pat

bwatt
07-03-2014, 06:59 PM
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donnacona
07-04-2014, 02:20 PM
Carol
What is the feeding program for the parents from the day they lay eggs until the day the babies and parents are seperated. I am worried about the water quality since I am only using sponge filter.
Stu

Mac
02-10-2017, 05:55 PM
What the heck is "CBW"? Maybe some kind of blood worm?

RogueDiscus
02-10-2017, 06:30 PM
I bet it's California Blackworms. Carol hasn't been on the forum in years, but her posts in the early days of the forum are still very relevant. I think the freeze-dried black worms sold these days are probably similar. Al, the forum owner sells them (AquaticSuppliers.com) and there are others, too.

Bloodworms have a high water content and are not considered as high a quality of food. More of a treat.

Mac
02-11-2017, 11:53 PM
What the heck is CBW????

I have babies on the parents, about to start BBS.