PDA

View Full Version : allergic to bloodworms?

thebaglady
02-24-2003, 12:15 PM
I used to feed bloodworms, frozen, freeze dried and even live since they just "occur" in my half whiskey barrel outside, but then I developed a serious allergy to them.

Just curious if anyone else has had this problem. My hands would itch and turn red. If I accidentally brushed my face, my eyes would swell up. No fun at all. :-\

zoids
02-24-2003, 12:19 PM
I face the same problem as you. I'm so scared to feed blood worms now. If i had to i'll ask someone else to feed it for me.

It's really not fun suffering from this allergy :(.

brewmaster15
02-24-2003, 12:30 PM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=10;action=display;threadid=2526

jim_shedden
02-24-2003, 03:03 PM
I've heard this before.........I use a plastic bag before touching them.

Jim

fcdiscus
02-24-2003, 03:08 PM
I use those toss away Latex gloves. Even changing water will effect my arm if there is a cut after a BW feeding. Frank

jim_shedden
02-24-2003, 03:14 PM
Frank : ditto...................when I feed frozen bloodworms and then clean the tanks my arms break out in little itchy bumps. I have to go take a shower to get rid of them. It has become so bad that I have become sensitized to bloodworms and even flake food. I went for a physical last week and my dr. asked about my allergies. I explained it to him and he asked why I don't just get rid of the fish..........I let him live anyway....... ;D

Jim

thebaglady
02-24-2003, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the useful past thread Al.

Bloodworms WERE one of my prefered foods until it all went real sour. Like with April, it took time before I realized what the connection was. I had gone to an opthalmologist, he told me to see an allergist, he told me I was allergic to two things: Ragweed (very commom, wrong time of year) and about two, three types of dust mites (see dtfujita entry from Ask Jeeves)

At first, symptoms were mild twiching, but over time....it really progressed to something scary. Once I made the connection, I found white worms, black worms, dwarf red etc...and don't miss bloodworms at all.

Ryan
02-24-2003, 03:55 PM
My allergic reaction to the worms continues to get worse. I used to be able to feed them with no problem, then I started the itching and the burning eyes... now if I open the freezer door I start to itch and turn red. But hey, the fish love them. :funny:

Ryan

Dennis_Hardenburge
02-24-2003, 05:30 PM
I can't imagine any one with an allergic reation to blood worms would continue to use them.
Do you realize that in a severe allergic reation your throat can swell shut and you would sufficate, and this can happen in a very short amount of time.
No thanks
Dennis

brewmaster15
02-24-2003, 05:33 PM
Ryan,
Allergies that progress that like that could mean the next time will put you in anaphalactic (sp?) shock the next time it happens. If you keep using them, be sure you have a bee-sting Epi-pen and benedryl handy.

your air passages can swell shut in second from an allegen like this.

-al

April
02-24-2003, 09:14 PM
hes right ryan. Jimmy said the same thing. all of a sudden..too late.
my brother had a bee farm. all was well. stung all the time. all of a sudden..couldnt breathe. now he has to keep a kit with him. stick to the blackworms.
i had some on my hand one day.and forgot to wash them. stuck something in my mouth and my throat starting feeling funny. scared me actually...
i still have used them but more careful. but lately..seems its gotten better instead of worse.

Dennis_Hardenburge
02-24-2003, 09:32 PM
Al
An Epi-pen might give a person a little more time but then again it depends on the severety of the allergic reation.
I realalize this ia a different allergey but the last time a bee stung me I used the Epi-pen and still barely made it to the hospital, it took twelve shot of adrenilan before I could breath.
Needless to say I now keep more than one Epi-pen
Dennis

thebaglady
02-24-2003, 10:13 PM
We had a guy in our fish club who died from a yellow jacket sting. It was in his pop and after he was stung, his sister got him to the hospital, but it was too late.

He was young, maybe 23 or so. His family said they didn't think he knew he was allergic to bee stings.

Do you suppose anyone has ever died from a reaction to bloodworms!!! That would be incentive to stop using them.
Like I say, I don't miss them at all. Jen K.

BLUEKNIGHT
02-25-2003, 04:17 PM
The reason many people are allergic to bloodworms is because they are Mosquito larve.

thebaglady
02-25-2003, 08:42 PM
My book says they are larvae of midge flies. That the adult midges resemble mosquitoes, but are more dainty and have less offensive habits.

i'm sensitive to mosquito bites, but not like the reaction I have to these little critters. Thank goodness.

zoids
02-26-2003, 11:37 AM
I guess there is a small group of us that have this problem. Does anyone have a cure for it. For me, even the jiuces from the BW can make my hands itch like crazy.

Michael
02-26-2003, 12:54 PM
Hello, those of you that are allergic to bloodworms have to be very carefull with any cross reaction with other insects, worms,ect . As mentioned before u can develop Type IV hypersensitive rxn next time u are exposed to the worms. Always keep an antihistamine drug close to u and watchout for symptoms like icthing, wateryeyes, swelling of lips, eyelids, skin eruptions, and respiratory distress. If any of this symptoms appear take antihistamine(benadryl) and evaluate ur symptoms if they are worsening get medical atention, maybe u will need steroids. :thumbsup:

thebaglady
02-26-2003, 02:16 PM
I was surprised that April (anyone) could become de-sensitized. I guess she built up anti-bodies or something.