PDA

View Full Version : The effect of overdosing vitamins?

wo
02-25-2003, 11:28 AM
Hi:

I recently buy some Omega vitamin powder( a bottle of multi-vit, a bottle of vit-C, and a bottle of vit-E) and use them in the hamburger I make. One time I overdose the vitamin C in the shrimp meat mixture it soon become white and non-sticky like cooked. Does anyone know why? Now I use the multi-vitamin in hatching the bbs. With a very tiny portion of vitamin the bbs hatch rate remains good 80% but with 1g of vitamin the hatch rate is about 10% . Do vitamins alter the PH rapidly? Does anyone know? Thanks!

cobalt
02-25-2003, 12:36 PM
hi
vitamin c is ascorbic acid . it is an acid. it can change water PH (even thou it is not very strong) an over dose will kill your fish. If you put way over dose it will change the fishes blood chemistry and the fish's nephrose cannot remove it the fish will die of acidosis.
this is only in extreme case.
Cobalt

wo
02-25-2003, 01:45 PM
Thanks Cobalt:

After your explanation I would add vitamins carefully. Thank you very much!

cobalt
02-25-2003, 03:29 PM
hey
glad to help! 8)
Cobalt

Jameson
02-26-2003, 05:16 AM
You can cook meats and fishes in a mixture of lemon juice with no heat. i work on an offshore private charter boat doing big game fishing and i cannot tell you how much tuna we have eaten in a lemon/orange juice mixture with salt pepper garlic and chopped alepenos. absolutely unbelievable fresh raw seafood salad, and after sitting in the mixture for a while the fish or beef looks just like it was steamed.

jc

shamsoo
02-26-2003, 05:43 AM
jc, hi I really dont understand how to cook meats and fishes in a mixture of lemon juice with no heat ???

zoids
02-26-2003, 11:34 AM
Wo,

You can use multi-vits or b-complex in your beefheart mixture. The dosage should be about 1 capsule to 2 kg or bh.

In anything you do don't over-dose. The trick is to keep it as simple as possible.

brewmaster15
02-28-2003, 05:32 PM
Hi Shamsoo,
Its not really cooking the meat, but if you soak any protein in an acid... the acid starts to to degrade the protein. In the lab we call it acid hydrolysis, or acid digestion. the acids also inhibit bacterial growth.

Jc..... Thats my secret--- obviously not so secret marinade for any gamie tasting fish like Bluefish. Then I grill it though!
Long Island huh, maybe I'll have to take a charter out there sometime! :)

-al

shamsoo
03-01-2003, 03:53 AM
thanks al for yr explanation ;D

wo
03-01-2003, 10:29 AM
Thanks Jameson. Now I know the secret to cook the fish.

Zoids: Yes, I now know to keep the correct portion is very important. Thanks.

Shamsoo: I am glad that we learn something extra.

Al: Thanks. Are you majored in chemistry related field? And your receipt sounds really delicious.

Have a nice weekend!