PDA

View Full Version : something horrible

shamsoo
02-25-2003, 01:24 PM
hi , I think mistery had been solved why the eggs are turning white and fungused repeatedly,no matter what I add after laying m.blue, formalin, acraflavine, to find out the answer, sample of tapwater and r/o water sent to the council of scientific & industrial research lab for
testing, unbelievable and horrible results, as per report total
bacterial count in tapwater 5x10 cfu/ml
r/o water count is 12 cfu/ml, WHO guideline 100 cfu/ml, now R/O unit (75gpd) is on double shift producing water for discus and for drinking purpose at home, decided not to use any more tap water for mixing with r/o water, commercially prepared buffers are not available here, I saw a receipe written by Joe (enchanted discus) 3 grams Calcium Sulfate,1gram Calcium Chloride,1gram Magnesium Sulfate for 20 gal of r/o water
I can get all these chemicals easily here, shall be thankfull if you could guide me how to do it, ph of r/o water is 6.5, thanks for an early input

brewmaster15
02-25-2003, 02:24 PM
shamsoo,
maybe you should get a water purifier. They sell them with filter cartridges that would remove that bacteria...

http://www.freedrinkingwater.com/z-water-filter-ceramic.htm

or uv...
http://www.inspiredliving.com/cleanwater/

hth,
al

RandalB
02-25-2003, 05:22 PM
Shamsoo,
Add a .5 micron Carbon block to your RO unit and use the waste water for RO mix. Save about $70.00. If that doesn't work a KDF 55 cartrige before the Carbon block will eliminate the bacteria problems alltogether.
Are you on a well? If that's municipal water, they have troubles!

Al,
I hope you haven't bought one of those. Talk about a mark-up! Looks like about $15.00-20.00 worth of parts.

HTH
RandalB

brewmaster15
02-25-2003, 06:06 PM
Hi Randal,
The links were just for examples for the technology. Shamsoo is from pakistan I think, so I don't know whats availible to him.
With bacterial counts that high I 'd think he would want to treat all the water coming into the house. Thats a sign that there is sewage ground water contamination, which is something you don't want to take a bath in!!!

as for me... I don't use any of them filters... I got one of those greenwater ponds , from all that farm run off across the street. I tapped into it and we pump it into the house for all our needs. Its free , and all the algae is packed with nutrients. ;) ;D ;D ;D...jk please don't try that! :)

-al

RandalB
02-25-2003, 10:03 PM
Good thing he's got an RO unit! Seriously tho, if he's got acess to an RO he should be able to get .5 micron carbons. They will catch most nasties in the water, I'd hate to wait for a bathtub to fill with RO reject water! Those units in the links are not for whole house use, drinking water only. The ceramics are good for 2000 gallons I think before being cleaned.

Shamsoo,
Feel free to IM if you have a whole house filtration problem. I've never tried to ship to Pakastan, but I might be able to suggest something that could help out.

RandalB

shamsoo
02-25-2003, 10:56 PM
thanks to every one for valuable suggestions, a 35 gal container has been filled up with r/o water so what is next shud I add buffer in it and let aerate it for 24 hrs and see if the things are stable, how this buffer will react with present r/o water ph ie. 6.5, pls guide me step by step, for home use water I am working on well but the tds will be very high around 850 ppm, membrane will run out quickly, I have to test well water also,

RandalB
02-26-2003, 12:56 AM
Shamsoo,
I don't know much about buffers, but in order to save your membrane at 850 PPM TDS, Flush it every time you finish using it or 2X day. If you leave the concentrated waste water in the membrane housing w/o flushing it will quickly become fouled and destroyed. The bacteria will also grow through the membrane more quickly if the concentrated waste stays stagnant in the housing. Do your self a favor and buy a .5 micron carbon block and save the $$ on membrane replacement.

HTH,
RandalB