PDA

View Full Version : Hard Water stains....

jimmydtsm
02-25-2003, 04:56 PM
I just bought a used 66 gal tank and there are hard water stains on the glass. I have tried using a razor blade, vinegar solution, straight vinegar, and thus far nothing has worked. or at least did not work well enough that I would be able to clean it in the next day or so.

i was wondering if there is anything out there that i can use to clean that that will be safe to use on the inside of a tank? If not, then waht can i use, and how can i sterilize it to make it safe after i use it?

Thanks

snowshoe
02-25-2003, 05:20 PM
HI,

I have used muratic acid in the past with good results. You must be very careful with stuff !!! Vinegar is a very mild acid and that is how it removes the stain. The muratic acid is much more powerful and will remove a more stubborn stain.

Good luck

Tim B

Carol_Roberts
02-25-2003, 06:23 PM
Use Muriatic Acid in a well ventilated place - like your back yard.

nazangels
02-25-2003, 07:24 PM
Where I live in northern Arizona, hard water stains are a real problem. I fight it constantly. I've used a product called Lime Away that you can buy at your local fish store that works pretty well. I've also used something called Zap that we bought at Sam's Club, but can probably be found in most hardware stores. It works really well. The only thing is that you have to make sure all of the residue is rinsed off before putting fish in. I use a rinse of chlorine bleach and water after I use the Zap. You still have to put in a lot of elbow grease with either of these products, but they do work. Hope it's helpful to you! Beth

ronrca
02-25-2003, 07:26 PM
Where can you buy Muratic Acid and is it sold under different names?

I have the same problem with some of my old tanks.

bmrin1
02-26-2003, 09:06 PM
Muriatic acid should help. It can be found at hardware stores or pool supply stores.
Brian

Dennis_Hardenburge
02-26-2003, 10:35 PM
Please be advised that muratic acid is nasty stuff, not only a strong acid but the fumes are not good to breath.
I does have some good uses and is cheap but be very careful handleing it.
Dennis

Francisco_Borrero
02-27-2003, 12:02 AM
Vinegar with a scrubby sponge does well for me, and is less nasty than muriatic. Good luck. Francisco.

02-27-2003, 12:22 AM
Use Hydro Peroxide. It can lift anything organic matters up and dissolve them as a foam. You just simply wipe it out. Excellent cleaner for carpet stains too. Put HP in a spray bottle and use it as any houshold cleaner.
Jimmy.

darcy
02-27-2003, 12:36 AM
Ahhh Jimmy you beat me!!!! Yes peroxide does wonder's doesn't it!!!! By the way how have you been doing?

Darcy

Aquarius
02-27-2003, 12:37 AM
Thanks Jimmy!
I had never thought of that for carpet stains!
Any thoughts on what to use for Acrylic tanks? Would hydro
peroxide be safe on them as well?

-steve

02-27-2003, 08:44 AM
The nurses use HP to clean wounds and dissolve any dry blood or serum that make addressing impossible to come off . If it's safe for human consumption, I believe it's fine for acrylic tanks too cause it's not harsh on any surfaces.
Hey Darcy, I'm doing fine. How's your little girl. Still want to trade her in for some fry?
Jimmy

darcy
02-27-2003, 10:26 AM
Hi Jimmy

Little Emilee is doing great!!!! Thanks for asking. No won't trade for fry anymore....... gat any adult males???? That's what I'll trade her for!!!!!

Darcy