PDA

View Full Version : Introducing New Fish

kevin k
02-25-2003, 09:59 PM
I have 2 medium Discus in a QT, should be ready to move to the main tank this weekend.

Here's the problem the PH in the QT is 7.6 +, the regular tank is 6.9.

What is the best way to introduce them.

Carol_Roberts
02-26-2003, 02:49 AM
Hi Kevin:
Why the difference in pH? Are you using acid in the regular tank? If yes, stop the acid and let the regular tank pH rise before adding the new discus.

dm
02-26-2003, 08:37 AM
HI Kevin,

Just put your fish in a bucket with a little qt water in it. Add a cup or two of main tank water every 5 minutes or so for an hour or so. Every once in a while take a cup back out to keep from getting too much water in there. Once the pH equals out net the fish and put them in.

kevin k
02-26-2003, 02:12 PM
I'm not sure why the difference. Incoming TAP is 7.6ish.

But the offical tank(30 gallon) has CO2, it is basically a bare tank.

Interestingly there is a 55 paired on the CO2 system, it is heavily planted, etc. But it reads close to 7.6 as well ????

And I think the 55 is getting 3 times the CO2.

Carol_Roberts
02-27-2003, 02:17 AM
CO2 will lower the pH. DM gave you good advice. follow it and you should be fine (don't let them get too cold)

spartyblaze
02-27-2003, 05:53 PM
Just to further DM's advice. If you don't want to keep dumping a cup or so every five minutes, try my method for switching fish between tanks:

1. Grab a piece of airline tubing and start a siphon with it
2. Tie a semi-tight knot in the line, so that a slow drip comes out of the hose. You can adjust the water flow to prevent any ph shock.

This should make it easier, so you don't have to stand next to the tank for an hour, dumping water cup by cup. However, make sure you check the bucket periodically so there aren't any mishaps.

kevin k
02-27-2003, 09:40 PM
Actually I was thinking of the airline tubing today, but the knot is a good idea to limit flow.

For my regular fish, Angels, otto's, zebras and Neons in the other tanks I use a baster and give them a shot or two into a small compartment tank for an hour or so before I release them in.

Carol I understand the PH should / does lower PH, I can't figure out why the 55 doesn't seem to be affected.

RandalB
03-01-2003, 05:24 PM
Sorry to be beating a different drum here,

Just put them in. They will be fine. Keep the light off for a few hours. As long as the temp is within +- 5 degrees of the QT tank it won't be a problem either. Every fish I've ever gotten was introduced this way and I've never had a problem.

OK Let me have it guys/gals!
RandalB

Carol_Roberts
03-01-2003, 05:34 PM
It's the pH I was worried about, Randall. They are in 7.6 now and Kevin wants to move them to 6.9. Too much of a drop all at once (.7)

If they were going to a higher pH I'd dump them right in too.