PDA

View Full Version : Earthworms...Best Food??

lkleung007
02-26-2003, 11:26 AM
Hey Gang;

I know that many of you have worm cultures (red wigglers) and feed them regularly. I am curious as to the nutritional value of earthworms. I have read that earthworms may be one of the most "complete" foods we can feed to our Discus. I only feed them once or twice a week and am thinking about feeding them more frequently.

Thanks for any input. ;)

Regards, Lester

chirohorn
02-26-2003, 05:56 PM
If the worms are clean, feed the discus as often as you'd like. I believe Jim Quarles stated in his book, "Success with Discus" that worms were the perfect food. HE was a pretty decent breeder. ;)

shamsoo
02-26-2003, 11:20 PM
my discus gets earthworms daily, excelent for bringing up fish in breeding condition . also prevents constipation

jim_shedden
02-27-2003, 10:25 AM
Just make sure you cut them up. Some of these earthworms are like snakes. I also let them sit in cold water for awhile before feeding them. This gets most of the dirt out. Actually, I take out a couple the night before and put them in a tuperware container then put in some cold water then put them into the fridge. I then prepare them in the morning for them. It can be a pain but i also find it rather inexpensive especially if you can collect them yourself.

jim

BlueTurquoise
02-27-2003, 07:43 PM
The only drawback for me is the tought of cutting them!!! :o :o :o It gives me the shivers to no end just thinking about it!!! How do you do it Jim?? :o The poor little things!

At least the black worms are eaten whole!

Chong

Carol_Roberts
02-27-2003, 10:18 PM
REd Wiggler type Worms are easier to chop if you freeze them first. Chop them into bite sized pieces and throw in tank.

Discus like live, wiggly food best. Once they are used to the taste they will eat frozen worms

jim_shedden
02-27-2003, 11:30 PM
Chong : Here's what I do. I get a couple and put them in my mouth and swish them around for a bit..........it softens them up. Then I put them on the cutting board and chop them up and put them in the tank..........and if you beleive that I have a tropical island in Northern Canada to sell to ya............ ;D

darcy
02-27-2003, 11:46 PM
A tropical island in Northern Canada????? Where?Where Jim let me in on this deal!!! ;D ;D ;D

Darcy

lkleung007
03-01-2003, 06:30 PM
Thanks again for all the replies!!

For those of you who do feed earthworms (red wigglers) as a "main course", how many worms do you all use/cut up for say a group of 10 adult Discus?? I would figure about 1 worm per Discus...or is that not enough for a decent meal??

Regards, Lester

Carol_Roberts
03-01-2003, 07:14 PM
one worm per discus is a good average, but throw in a couple extra to make sure everyone gets some

Francisco_Borrero
03-02-2003, 12:24 AM
I would also say 1-2 worms per fish is good.
About cutting them, I find beter to place the mass of worms in a small dish (I have 4 dedicated saucers for fish foods), and I cut with scissors (not knife). I just hold the mass lightly with my fingers, and criscross several times in different directions; then I take a look and if anyy worm still looks too big, use the scissor on him individually. I find the knife difficult and very messy.
When cut like that they wiggle wildly (yeah, I know, cruelty) and continue to wiggle for a long time in the tank. Fish love it. I have frozen them before and the fish eat them but not as enthusiastically.

Cheers, Francisco.

lkleung007
03-02-2003, 05:56 PM
Thanks Carol and Francisco for the input!!

I have been using about 1 per Discus but will up the amount a bit ;)

Great tip on how to prepare the worms Francisco; I have been using the knife method and it does take some time...as they don't like to cooperate.

Regards, Lester