PDA

View Full Version : Geneology (where did my guy come from?)

CO discus
02-26-2003, 07:41 PM
Hey all. New to the group. I have a question about finding out the origins of different Discus. In other words, I have a snakeskin and wanted to know: what strains might his parents have been? Also, is there a place where I could find a chart or something that tells what you'd get when crossing 2 breeds (example: Pigeon Blood w/ Red Turquoise). I'm curious to know. BTW, I've been reading many postings and THIS IS A GREAT SITE. Wealth of information will ensure I always have reading material!!!

fishfarm
02-27-2003, 10:08 AM
Hi, the original snakekin was a mutaion in Kitti's tanks in Thailand in the 80's, they do not breed true. 40-60% in each batch even when snakeskin to snakeskin are bred together, always some throwbacks to Red Turks. I don't know a chart for breeding like the angelfish genetics chart Scott Sanders delveloped, thing is with discus, unless you know there parents, you'll never know wht fry they will throw. If you cross a pigeon with a Red Turk, you could get several different phenotypes. The original pigeon was a cross between a yellow based almost black fish and a red turk. Thru many generations of selective breeding we have the yellow/orange fish of today.