PDA

View Full Version : Free Swimmers

Tyler
02-27-2003, 04:10 PM
Got around 50 free swimmers today (pure guess), and the parents seem to be doing as best they can at taking care of them. This is the first time this pair has had a larger batch to look after. I did notice a couple stray fry however, so i turned off the tank lights and put the AC on the lowest setting. Any other tips for getting the fry closer to the parents????
More tank info.......45 gallon tank, Aquaclear 200 fliter with prefilter (prefilter covered with a white stocking).
Thanks

Tyler

Kagan
02-27-2003, 04:27 PM
hi Tyler,

good luck with the little ones. Light is a must imo. Minimize the dark objects around and in the tank and also the vibrating things. These will scatter the fry. HTH

Kagan

Tyler
02-27-2003, 04:41 PM
Thanks Kagen,
ok, guess I've pretty much done all I can then......I'll just turn back on the light on the far side of the tank, away from the pair.

Tyler

Tyler
02-27-2003, 04:52 PM
I just peeked at them again...and it seems that a bunch of the fry are grouping up in the top right corner, above the pair. Is this a problem?? Will they go back to the parents themselves?

Tyler

02-27-2003, 05:02 PM
The fry will likely go back....sometimes they have a couple 'false starts'....I've had success lowering the water level to just above the top of the parents..that way all the fry on the bottom attach, and all the fry at the surface attach...good luck tyler :)

Kagan
02-27-2003, 05:08 PM
agree with David. Lower the water. A very dim light should be enough. No vibration. That all. Then, you will start feeding them. Then water changes are very important. Removing the parents... so on so on... Good luck. Tiring days are waiting for you ;)..

Kagan

02-27-2003, 05:42 PM
Tyler, every pair is different some like lights, some dont...I do think it helps by not having the tank lights on, just a room light......Lowering the water will help, just cut back on feeding so not to polute the little water you have left in the tank.......Once they attach bring the water back up but IMO I would leave the lights out a few days as the fry are attracted to light................

Randy

Tyler
02-27-2003, 05:45 PM
Thanks everyone,
I'll lower the water level tonight. Oh, and the pair will only get blackworms....not water polluted that way......and not lights.
I'll keep you all updated....

Tyler

02-27-2003, 05:47 PM
hahahahahaha....i leave the tank lights ON for a few days when they first go free-swimming....my last spawn was pretty much fully attached in a day...
so many different ways to reach the same destination... ;)

Pat_in_NC
02-27-2003, 10:10 PM
Congrats Tyler,

Like David I left my lights on the whole time and the fry all attached after a day or two. I just couldn't stand the thought of not seeing what was going on! The first two days I would sometimes find them scattered then a few hours later all on the parents again by day 3 most of the fry were on the parents most of the time although once in a while I would find them all in the corner near the bubbles coming from the sponge filter. I would just turn off the air for a few minutes and they would all go back to the parents (who usually were waiting patiently for them by the sponge). Tyler this last spawn of mine was the first to make it this far and I must say it is a lot of fun to watch this whole process (but don't skip your homework...lol)! After this happens a few times I'm sure it loses its novelty but it really is a sight to see.

Good Luck!

Pat

Carol_Roberts
02-27-2003, 11:24 PM
Congratulations Tyler!!!

What kind of babies are they?

RichieE
02-28-2003, 12:18 PM
Nice going Tyler. You seem to be doing all the right things. How about some pictures?
Ive got eggs on the cone again . Two days old. Its about the 10th time for this pair without success. Its been 5 months since the last time they spawned so they are a little older now. Ive got my fingers crossed. Rich

Tyler
02-28-2003, 04:50 PM
I tried pictures....but it's not coming out clear and I'm not getting any fry. I'll try again later...
Thanks for the help everyone!
Carol,
Both parents are offspring from and F1 santeram x alencer cross. I'm interested to see if they change any with this next generation.
Most fry have attached at this point, with some running off every now and then though. I also just put the lights back on....and all seems ok. I'll keep updating.....

Tyler

fcdiscus
03-01-2003, 02:48 PM
Cool Tyler, Remember- I want 6 of those! Frank ;D

Tyler
03-01-2003, 03:32 PM
You got it Frank.....so who wants the other 44??? LOL

Tyler

03-01-2003, 09:20 PM
Count me in for another 6-10 ;)

Ronald