PDA

View Full Version : Beth, It's Getting Warmer... Sort of...

DarkDiscus
02-28-2003, 11:21 AM
Hey Beth,

When are you going to resume the angelfish in the swimming pool project? I'm looking forward to seeing the results after a full season of growth!

John

PS. I was just thinking about my wading pool project and one thing led to another...

02-28-2003, 12:59 PM
HiYa's John.....

I'm hoping to get it started arond the middle to the end of March ;) It should be warm enough by then.

I plan on putting possibly 2 pairs of Adult Angels and a handful of guppies.

I'd like to also try a couple dozen Discus..... if my pair can get past attatchment for more than a few days :-\ They have fry that attatched late yesterday evening ;D (fingers crossed)

The pool awaits them ;)

I'll keep you updated on how things progress :thumbsup:

a couple shots from last year:

http://images.snapfish.com/336967%3A323232%7Ffp6%3B%3Dot%3E2327%3D%3A49%3D858 %3Dxroqdf%3E23233784665%3A4ot1lsi

http://images.snapfish.com/336967%3A323232%7Ffp66%3Dot%3E2327%3D%3A49%3D858%3 Dxroqdf%3E23233784665%3A6ot1lsi

Beth

jim_shedden
02-28-2003, 01:01 PM
Middle of March?..............I still have 3' of ice on the lake........
Beth : The older I get the farther south I want to move........ ;D

gary1218
02-28-2003, 01:49 PM
COOL ;D

Are water changes done only when it rains? What's the coldest the water would get during the summer months?

I have an inground 18' x 36' pool I've been threatening to do the same thing with. Nobody uses it anymore so I've been thinking WHAT A GREAT 18,000 GALLON FISH TANK. Not sure about the chlorine in the water though ;D With the solar cover on the temp is in the mid 80's all summer.

GARY

DarkDiscus
02-28-2003, 02:37 PM
Gary,

I KNOW we have had this conversation before - either that or it's freaky deja vu... Buy a LOT of Prime, let your water age and get a little green. You can do it!

I also think there HAS to be a way to heat that beast. Imagine a school of discus, breeding and growing in your backyard...

Too much fun!

Plus the fish will prevent mosquitos - they will eat the larvae and you never have to pay for food!

Someone HAS to try this...

John

gary1218
02-28-2003, 09:53 PM
John,

Strange as this sounds I have given it some thought. BUT, closing it up at the end of the summer and having to clean up an 18,000 gallon mess of algae makes me think twice about it.

GARY

02-28-2003, 10:37 PM
Hi Gary.....

Are water changes done only when it rains?

Depends on whether or not I feel like doing it I guess Gary ;D I haven't really thought about it..... I may do 1 or 2 during the summer :-\

What's the coldest the water would get during the summer months?

Probably the high ~80's .... I'm just guessing ::).... the temps ranged between the low ~70's and low ~80's around late September til I pulled them around the middle of November.

18,000 GALLON FISH TANK

Man are you kidding? That would be a killer fish tank.

Beth

Ryan
03-01-2003, 12:47 AM
I've given this thought too. My aunt has a pool and I often wondered what it'd be like as an aquarium. It's an in-ground pool, but it's not too terribly huge. She has solar panels mounted on the roof of her house that reflect sunlight into the pool and heat it naturally during the day. In the wintertime, her pool is also heated using gas (although that gets really expensive).

I would think food-wise the bugs and mosquito larvae and things like that would provide them with a good source of things to eat. In Florida it rains every afternoon like clockwork from around May/June until the end of hurricane season in the late fall, so water changes would be taken care of.

Okay, enough... I'm too tempted... :P

Ryan

limige
03-01-2003, 05:58 AM
i think i may try a small 10-14' diameter pool around 18-20" deep in the basement with a metal halide light above. same concept but indoors, more controlled enviroment and it'll be year round.

;Done of many project ideas in my head for the future!

ps..good luck beth!

DarkDiscus
03-03-2003, 11:33 AM
Ryan,

Gary may have a point with the fact he lives where 18,000 gallons might freeze solid in the winter, but it sounds to me like you have an excellent opportunity.

I would wager that domestic strains of discus in a pool-sized environment would become huge and incredibly well colored. If you have the right water and the unused pool, the question becomes - why NOT try it?

Between the algae and the mosquito larvae there's food for the fish and plenty of space. Remember Cary's experiment with discus (and guppies) in wading pools from his spotlight? The fish he used were culls and ended up with incredible color. His guppies became huge and well colored. I think this bears experimentation!

Plus you also have the angels to experiment with. Think about it!

John

Tonyintx
03-03-2003, 04:01 PM
I like the way you guys/gals think. I though I was the only freak that thought about things like that. haha ;D