PDA

View Full Version : Just a small gripe

mench
02-28-2003, 01:05 PM
This is not a huge thing but if the people or going to post or join the board PLEASE fill out the profile...what is the huge deal about not wanting any one to know what city you are from????? Afraid the Discus police will come knocking on the door???
Ya don't have to put you age if you don't feel like it but an location would be nice.

Thanks for your time.

Mench......Rochester,N.Y.

02-28-2003, 01:06 PM
Ditto!!!!!

Hop to it people ;D

DarkDiscus
02-28-2003, 02:40 PM
Hey Ron,

I think the discus cops are outside your house right now - they're about to break down your door and check and see if you have any football shaped fish! It's a fine of $10,000. If you have any water streaks on your tanks the fine is double!

All because you revealed your location!

You're in for it now!

John

Ralph
02-28-2003, 02:50 PM
It does help sometimes when you give advice, especially when mentioning purchasing something because the country and even the area within the country will dictate what is available, shipping, stores, etc. Occasionally the climate is good to know too, based on where in the world you live. It can be good to know the original language of the poster too.

And we promise not to come and visit, unless invited.

Francisco_Borrero
02-28-2003, 03:00 PM
I may be a little dull, but I went to update my profile, by clickling on the "profile" box on top, and then when I am done filling the info and hit "change profile", it comes back telling me that there is already someone with my name.
So how do I edit my profile ?? I will be happy to update (in fact, I need to change my email address).
Also, is it possible to reside in the US (Sharon, MA), but have the Colombian flag displayed instead of the US flag ??

Thanks, Francisco.

mench
02-28-2003, 03:10 PM
Hey John,as long as they got a meatloaf in thier hands,they can come on in ;D ;D

Mench

flogger426
02-28-2003, 04:01 PM
if you give people the option then some are not going to fill it out! i didn't - so what! what is the need to know where someone lives?

if this bothers you then take it to a higher level and make it mandatory.

flogger

ronrca
02-28-2003, 04:28 PM
Now, now! If people do not feel like filling their profiles out, they dont have to! I mean really, what if someone sends me lots of discus and I dont have the room for them! Arrrgggghhh! ;D

mench
02-28-2003, 04:35 PM
Now did I say I wanted to make it mandatory???? I don't see where I posted that...I said it would be nice to see where fellow discus nuts are located...If giving out your location violates your parole or gets you thrown out of the witness protection program,then don't do it..for the others who dodn't care if everyone sees where they live,feel free to post it....enough said...

Mench..where abouts a mystery

flogger426
02-28-2003, 05:27 PM
isn't that the way it's working now!!

gary1218
02-28-2003, 05:40 PM
AFTERALL, how are Mench and I supposed to come visit you on our next "road trip" if we don't know where the heck you live ;D

GARY
Medina, NY

brewmaster15
02-28-2003, 05:42 PM
okay guys...
Relax,

if you want to keep your privacy private, that fine... If you want to share your personal info with this community, that fine to.

The benefit with sharing it is its a good way to find people in your area that might be great to me..... then again, you might find that you are stalked by some one trying to steal your fish. ;D

don't forget to scroll thru this area as well...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=18

take care,
al

brewmaster15
02-28-2003, 05:44 PM
then again, if its gary visiting.. hide the breeding pairs , if you want them to still breed ;) :)

-al

dm
02-28-2003, 07:33 PM
Mench (and gary), I'm originally from Rochester too. Moved to AZ back in '86 though. Glad to see you here.

ronrca
02-28-2003, 07:50 PM
Hehe Al! Count your discus, then look outside your window! You may have less discus in the morning! ;D

gary1218
02-28-2003, 09:49 PM
Al,

ROTFLMAO ;D ;D ;D

GARY

PS I actually have some young discus coming from John Nicholson in TX next week. Maybe that will break "THE SPELL" :) :D ;D

mench
02-28-2003, 10:03 PM
Hey Dale whats the matter Rochester winters too much for ya???? Don't blame ya I would love to head to warmer places also,but the bride says NO WAY...

Mench

Ryan
03-01-2003, 12:40 AM
Ron,

Your flashy wardrobe would suit you better in warmer climates, no one would look at you like you were weird in a place like Florida or California... well, at least not because of your shirts...

Ryan :o ;D

brewmaster15
03-01-2003, 02:15 AM
Hey Gary, Good news....

I have at least one Female out of those Fine line Blue snakes ..... Tubes down, and she'd trying to make some hard boiled eggs on the heater! Thank god they hadn't paired up yet when you were here!
:)
-al

thebaglady
03-01-2003, 11:10 PM
Ryan (or Al),

What if you created a bar, up top there, that listed people by their state or country? Like you have for everyone who has given you their birthdates. That would be nice.

jim_shedden
03-02-2003, 12:02 PM
I just think that it makes for a freindlier place.
francisco : You boring ?...........come on. Also, you may not be able to update your info because you may have another profile that you filed in way back when. I did the same thing and it came up with the same statement. Check with Ryan..he might be able to sort it out for you............I like the idea of your home flag.

Jim

JeffreyRichard
03-03-2003, 12:11 PM
My opinion ...

Those that are the most disruptive/controversial/blatant/rude/obnoxious (take your pick) seem to be those that are most annonymous.

This is NOT the same as saying those that are annonymous are disruptive.

I'm a computer/information security professional, so I know all about privacy.

However, my observation is that the annonymity that the internet (can) provides can, and has in many instances, degregated some the checks and balances that take place with communications between people. Things that people would never say face to face, or even over the telephone with one another are done without a thought. Anyone who has taken a business communication course will tell you that email can be the most dangerous method of communicating ... it is all one way and you can easily forget that you are communicating with a fellow person.

OK ... my point is that while everyone is entitled to privacy, within a community that we've built here on SIMPLYDISCUS, annonymity is not necessarily a totally good thing. Knowing something about the person you are communicating with, I feel, adds to the experience and promotes good manners and meaningful information sharing.

I'm not advocating any mandating profiles. I would, however, encourage all who are active here to do so ... even if its as simple signing your real name.

Anyone who chooses to remain annonymous, that is your choice and I personally won't think any less of anyone.

However, anyone who is annonymous AND continually pushes the envelope regarding manners and politeness, well, I would say this person probably has a different agenda than most of the members here.

Just my thoughts ...

Jeff

DarkDiscus
03-03-2003, 12:44 PM
Jeff,

I think that you think good thoughts.

John

discuskrib
03-03-2003, 06:23 PM
knowing at least the state and country someone is from would certainly help when there is a posting "discus for sale - you pick up, will not ship". how many times have people replied to those kinds of ads having to ask where the person lives just to find out it is across the country or even on another continent?

Ralph
03-03-2003, 06:45 PM
The benefit to posting information about yourself is to you. If you are looking for advice, it helps to know your tank situation, your approach to discus keeping, your experience level, and what part of the world you live in. I would be the last person to insist on anyone providing that info, but the advice will be much more applicable to you if you do provide it. But it is up to you, our registration is just the bare minimum.

Jeff, I liked your post, human communication is difficult even in person. There is an enormous possiblity for misunderstandings using only a keyboard. On top of that, it is often between other countries and other cultures.

Goldfish_in_a_bowl
03-04-2003, 01:14 AM
Imagine that.... Mench has a GRIPE! ;) :P :-*
So....... what is it ya wanna know Mench... Huh.... Huh....
What Info could I provide to make you're life easier or more complete? ::)
You and GARY already have my address.. DUH How else are you guys going to pick me up?
And do I really have to wait on the side of the road and JUMP in the back of the truck as you drive by? :P

K :gorgeous: