PDA

View Full Version : Pork Heart

espitzer
02-28-2003, 06:33 PM
I just checked with my local grocery store and they are not sure they can get me beef heart. They can get calves heart or pork heart.

Anyone use either calves heart or pork heart?

I checked the USDA website referenced in a string a while back on Turkey heart and it looks like port heart is higher in protein than beef heart, but also higher in fat and lower in carbs.

Eric

allan_mark76
02-28-2003, 07:03 PM
I wouldn't use it..... try something else... I figure you'd get a lot of oily residue in your tank with the pork bh mix....keep on searching as you'd come across some beef heart sooner or later....

A- ::)

Aquatic_Design
02-28-2003, 09:42 PM
Hi Eric,
I use pork heart all the time to feed about 75 discus daily. I've been using it for about a year now. The discus eat it better then they did the beefheart. I have had no problems and am getting excellent growth. I have never had any oily residue in my tanks. You just trim it the same as any other heart.
The other thing I have tried and works well is 99% fat free ground turkey breast. You can buy it in any supermarket.
HTH
Donna :)

P.S. If you can get calf heart it will work better then the beef heart. You'll have less fat and smaller valves to trim out.

espitzer
03-01-2003, 01:06 PM
Thanks Renegade and Alan_mark76.

I'll try these out and see how it goes.