PDA

View Full Version : Blind Discus?

tyrancooper
02-28-2003, 10:45 PM
I bought two 2" blue snakeskin discus about 2 weeks ago to add to my 40 gal tank (with 3 BD's). I'm beginning to think that one of the two new discus is either visually impaired or completely blind.

I've noticed something strange about one of the two newbies. One of the newbies loves to eat. The other tries but just cannot seem to get the food in its mouth. Whether it is a flake directly in front of him or a piece of food on the bottom of the tank, it seems completely unable to consume any although it tries repeatedly.

This fish is always at the front of the tank, out in the open. All of the others have a favorite "resting spot" behind a plant, a piece of driftwood etc. In addition, when I lift the lid of the tank to feed he/she never rises to the top of the tank in anticipation of food. (The others don't either, but the do poke their head out from behing their "hiding places" as if they know that the food is coming.)

Another strange occurence is how this fish that does not mind if I walk toward the tank. All of the others are much more cautious. Sometimes I even get down to eye live with this fish and we "stare" at each other. Up until now I thought that he/she just really liked me. Now, however, I'm beginning to think it doesn't even realize that I am there.

I know that these signs are kind of obvious, but could it possibly be something else? I certainly do not want to have to watch this little guy starve to death.

I've read that even the "blind cave fish" has an alternate way of locating food. Don't all fish have this sense to some degree?

Any ideas on what is the problem? Any suggestions? ???

Tyra

Carol_Roberts
02-28-2003, 11:28 PM
Hi Tyra:
You are probably correct that that the discus has impaired vision. From your post it sound as if this guy won't be able to successfully compete for food with the other discus in the tank and will end up a runt.

darcy
02-28-2003, 11:52 PM
I agree with Carol!! I have a couple of discus with bad eyes!! I know they can see but always hit behind or under their food. Call me sensitive but I can't bring myself to cull them. They have their own 47 gallon tank and they do alright. All of them are small and runts. They are all healthy though!!!!! I keep them around for tests and such.
I have the tank space so I don't mind keeping them!!!
Darcy

jamesmcsyd
03-01-2003, 12:57 AM
I have a discus that also 'strikes' behind the food, and if it eats it's only by pot luck.

There are some good articles written about the consequences of intensive 'inbreeding', and unfortunately visual disturances is one of them. However, there is always the chance that it is just a natural occurance, whereby in the wild that particular fish would of died early on.

When I purchase a discus now, I ask if I can watch them being fed. I suggest you do it too!

James

Ryan
03-01-2003, 01:04 AM
James,

You bring up a good point. Whether you get discus from a breeder, LFS, or importer, it's a good idea to ask if you can see them be fed. That will tell you a couple things.

#1, healthy fish (especially young fish) should be excited about food. They should be eager to eat.

#2, you'll be able to pick and choose from them based on what you observe, for instance, if they can't hit their food properly or if maybe they aren't quite as excited about eating as some of their tankmates, etc.

Naturally if the fish don't want to eat that's probably not a great sign. I have a couple fish that have trouble hitting their food if it's on the tank bottom -- if they catch it while it's in the water column, there's no trouble. I would assume it's probably from inbreeding, too, but that's JMO.

Ryan

tyrancooper
03-01-2003, 10:29 PM
Oh dear... :(

I just lost a runt about a month ago. Unbeknownst to me he suffered very slowly and then became incredibly sick before dying. I felt very very bad about the whole thing and don't want to go through that again if I can help it...

I cannot bring myself to cull this fish. I may explain the situation to the breeder and ask him ask the to take both of the fish back (the healthy one is smaller than my BD's and may get picked in if I leave him in the tank). If the breeder thinks culling the impaired fish is appropriate, hopefully he will have a humane way of doing it. I won't ask him for a refund, though, since none of this is his fault. :-\

Tyra

jamesmcsyd
03-02-2003, 03:22 AM
Oh, I'm sure you'll find a keen enthusiast who will give him/her tender loving care!

If it makes you feel better, I think most of us have had this problem.

James

tyrancooper
03-02-2003, 08:11 PM
I'll try not to give up on this discus too soon.

Would a daily feeding of live blackworms in a "worm feeder" help keep the food localized so that the impaired discus has more than one chance to catch a piece of food?

Tyra

Carol_Roberts
03-02-2003, 10:55 PM
A worm feeder is a good idea, Tyra. give it a try.