PDA

View Full Version : does metronidazole make disus unable to spawn

DISCUS USA
03-01-2003, 03:00 AM
:D hi everyone,i was reading the metronidazole discussion ,started by brewmaster and found it quit informing.it touched on a subject that caught my eye,brewmaster said that he used paragon 2 in the 90 s and that all of his treated discus did not spawn after that,he also said that hes not sure if it was cause his water parameters were not where they should have been or what.then another fellow from india mentioned that he heard metro stops discus from spawning also.paragon 2 contains metronidazole.is this true id like to read your inputs on this subject. ???

Ardan
03-01-2003, 08:35 AM
Hi ,
Paragon 2 contains many meds. I don't think one could be a single factor.

Meto should not affect spawning if used properly. IMO

hth

darcy
03-01-2003, 12:27 PM
A little story I did a dumb thing and saved a Blue Diamond from an lfs. That little sucker was a black as night,stringy white feces and the whole bit. so anyway I did the normal 500 mg to 10gallons,water change after 8 hours. So after 4 days of this the fish was not getting any better. I thought no biggie I had lots of metro so I kept treating for I believe it was 11 days!!! the fishes color gradually came back and it starting eating flake!!
I was shocked!! Anyway this fish went into one of my tanks and just the other night was laying eggs!!! She's still fairly young but at least she is laying eggs!!!

This is JME. So don't take it as law!!!
Darcy

DISCUS USA
03-01-2003, 12:57 PM
dam darcy talk about one mans trash anothers treasure,so far metro stops discus from spawning zero and metro has no effect on spawning 2,anymore stories out there. :D

darcy
03-01-2003, 01:00 PM
Ok yeah she spawns so let me update when she gets with a male and then we will truly find out!!!!!
Darcy

fcdiscus
03-01-2003, 02:45 PM
IME Metro has no effect on fertility! Frank ;)