PDA

View Full Version : uv sterilisers

fredd
03-01-2003, 05:42 PM
am setting up a 160 gallon system made up of 8 x 18" cubes on a central filter and i wondered if a uv steriliser was a good idea or not. all comments welcome.the tanks will hold breeding stock and fry.

Carol_Roberts
03-01-2003, 06:10 PM
I don't know of anyone using UV for discus . . . .

You must mean 18 inch by 18 inch cubes ;) Those will hold about 22 gallons?

fredd
03-01-2003, 06:32 PM
yes sorry 8 cubes 18" x 18" 20 uk gallons each. i was reading a breeders site in uk and he swears by uv . wondered if anyone else uses them. ???

03-01-2003, 08:11 PM
Hi all,
I have also seen UV at a Breeder installed.
I asked about the use and I got the advice if I would use one to install it before the water enters the tanks.
The benefit would be that the pretreated water would run over it and the bacteria in the tank (tank filter) would not be effected.
The UV does not differ between wanted or unwanted bacteria.

HTH
Ronald

fredd
03-01-2003, 08:18 PM
yes the filtered water runs thru it and then into the tanks,eliminating bacteria before it reaches fish.would my filter still be able to mature?

fredd
03-01-2003, 08:19 PM
yes the filtered water runs thru it and then into the tanks,eliminating bacteria before it reaches fish.would my filter still be able to mature?

03-01-2003, 09:04 PM
It was my understanding that after the water runs over the UV from the preparing tank to the Fish Tank, it does not come in contact again with the actual Fish Tank water (including the Fish Tank filter). Sorry if I misunderstood you.

I don’t think you would need to use it to cycle the water for a new setup. After the bacteria culture is established you then could install the UV between the preparing bin and fish tank.

If the UV is installed between Filter and Fish Tank it will eliminate the bacteria in the filter.

Ronald

korbi_doc
03-01-2003, 09:34 PM
:bounce2: :bounce2: Hi Fredd, guess I'm in the minority, but I use UV on my 90g & QT tank. Have one for the 125g, but haven't installed it yet. I really can't prove it helps, but felt when I started out it sounded like a good idea. Guess I just feel that anything that can help keep threats under control can't be bad. Whatever, lol, Dottie ::) ::) ::)

jamesmcsyd
03-02-2003, 03:48 AM
Hi,

I have a UV steriliser, but stopped using it. Even on heavy planted setups, like mine (was), it didn't seem to make alot of difference. Just another plug to plug in!

I don't know if you can get it in the USA, but I use a product in Australia called 'active-bac', which is waste assimilating bacteria. It gobbles up algae and brakes down waste v. quick.

If you plan on doing frequent partial water changes, I doubt whether a UV would be worth it IMHO.

James

Mick M
03-02-2003, 06:11 AM
Hi Fredd, anything that can help stop the spreading of disease should be a good thing, especially on a central filter system such as you are intending. My only concern would be the fish's natural immune system not having built up
enough strength to cope with being moved to different quarters and succumbing to a disease at a later date. I think most fish shops in the U.K. use UV in their central filter systems so I'd take their lead and install it.

peety
03-04-2003, 09:27 PM
I use UV. I had green algae probs on my planted tank when I set up. Got a UV and it cleaned up water within about a week ? maybe 2. It's been running ever since and I probably don't need it now but it can't be hurting. I don't see much point on a discus tank with lots of w/c's because it would never get to sterilize all the water before you added more..... (it needs to be matched to water throughput as well or it doesn't do anything).

:) :)

peety

RichieE
03-05-2003, 03:43 PM
I use and recomend a UV sterilizer. The arguement is that the discus immune system goes dormant or stops working or works less because theres nothing floating around in the water for it to defend against. That sounds like an evolutionary occurance, not something that happens in a short period of time. In any event I've been moveing Discus and other fish in and out of tanks that have UV and dont have UV and have not seen any outbreaks.
I can't say its actually killing anything except algae, but there is an extra feeling of comfort knowing it might be. I agree with Mick that many shops (and breeders) useing centeral filter systems use UV.

Ronald -The bacteria growing on the filter media is not affected by the UV. I don't think it's typically used on fresh aged water before it enters the system but I suppose it could be if there is a problem with your water supply.

Dottie-Lots of pioneers and great people start out in the minority. ;D Your a Vetinerian as I recall. If your useing one without a problem thats enough for me. ;) Rich

fredd
03-06-2003, 04:10 AM
thanx for all your help guys. i have decided with allyour advice to definitely use a uv steriliser.
:)