PDA

View Full Version : St.Valentines Day Masacre

Fisheyes
03-01-2003, 05:44 PM
:'( On St. Valentines Day I attempted to medicate 19 young quarter size Golden dragons. First thing in the morning I added 400Ml of heximit to a 20 gallon tank with the heat at 90deg. I also took a small sprinkling of hex and mixed it with 3oz of water and a feeding of blk worms .I thought that by doing this I would be sure to get the medication where it belonged.
:P :PThe worms seemed to love the hex as it made them dance for a while in the glass.
At aprox 3pm I gave the medicated worms to the fish and because of company coming for dinner I did not keep an eye on them . 8)

Company came about 5 pm we had a glass of wine and the wifes boss said gee Ken how about showing me your fish .
;D ;D ;DI of course with my chest all puffed out said hell ya come on down bring your wine and we will watch them for a while so you can get to knowe them.
Off we go down the stairs the boss ahead of me and I said over there in that tank is all my youngins. :D

:-X :-\ :'(I LOOKED AT HIM AND HE WAS STANDING THERE WITH HIS MOUTH OPEN AND HE said NICE FISH BUT AReN'T THEY SUPPOSE TO BE SWIMMING . :'(

I looked down and all 19 of the young disc were dead.

I am not very proud of making a mistake like this and normally would not I repeat not publicise it BUT after thinking about what happened I felt if I can stop someone else from making the same mistake it will be worth the embarasment .
I have made light a couple of times in this statment but .
believe me it was a very sad day for me and my wife .

I guess the point is when using medication do not asume that 500 ml for a full sized disc will have the same effect on a quarter size disc and I would not mix with food and in the water at the same time.
Hope this helps any newbies out there . ;) ;)

I would like some response from the breeders out there as to what they think .
and any suggestions they might have

Carol_Roberts
03-01-2003, 06:02 PM
What a heartbreaker :'(

I have used Hex-a-mit on new 2 inch discus with no problem.

Perhaps they had another disease beside intestinal flagellates? What symptoms led you to treat them? High heat weakens internal parasites, but can benefit bacterial infections . . . .

Fisheyes
03-01-2003, 08:02 PM
The reason I treated them was because of stingy wht. Poopers.
They were all eating and doing well but because of the symtoms above I felt I should look after it before it got out of hand. Your right it was a heart breaker and I almost gave up because it.
I think the blk worms sucked up more than I thought they would and it must of overdosed them.
I now use a little more caution now.
Ken :'(