PDA

View Full Version : need help with timid discus and jamming

cloak
03-01-2003, 07:43 PM
I've got four brown discus in a barebottom 50 gallon tank. Fake plants and pots in the corner, low lighting, slow flow. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate, maybe 10-15, ph 7.4, temp 85. 50% water changes are done right out of the tap twice a week.

It seem like 80+% of the time the fish will dart for cover when somebody walks by. I also notice a few of the fish breathing through one side of there gills. They eat good but after three months I just can't figure out why they won't settle down. All the fish have bright red eyes.

What medication could I use for the flukes and the overall nervousness? Maybe I need to raise the temp more towards 90 to get them to settle down?

Any suggestions would be great cause I'm at a loss here. If I can provide you with any other information to help me please feel free to ask.

Thanks.

Fisheyes
03-01-2003, 08:14 PM
What does that mean right out of the tap .
Is there clorine or clorimide in your water
ken

cloak
03-01-2003, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the response.

The water comes right from the kitchen sink via a python. I'm sure there's small amounts of clorine/chloramine in the water but I haven't noticed the fish stressing in any way due to it. I was under the impression that chlorine/chloramine dissapates fairly fast with good water movement. The fish actually seem to get a little charged up during the change.

Thanks again.

Ryan
03-01-2003, 09:03 PM
Chlorine will dissipate with agitation but from what I've heard chloramine will not. I'd recommend getting a product such as Prime and trying that. You can add it directly to the tank during your water change. That's how many people do it, for those that don't age their water. Also, is there a major pH shift between water directly from the tap versus water that has been aerated and agitated after a # of hours? pH swings that are constant and dramatic could stress your fish.

Other things to take into account when you have shy discus:

Are there shadows and/or vibrations when someone walks by?

Are the fish in a low-traffic area?

Ryan

cloak
03-01-2003, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the reply.

These discus right here are in my room, so I'd say it's about average traffic. Not to much in the way of vibrations or shadows. Occasionally when the blinds are open there will be a few shadows from the trees outside but nothing major.
Sitting here typing this I'm watching them cruise around with the blinds open. The shadows don't seem to be bothering them to much. It's just when I get up to leave the room that they seem to dart. Sometimes they come to the top of the tank for food but I've really got to move slow.

What should I do about the jamming of the gills?

Thanks.

jeep
03-01-2003, 11:58 PM
Chloramines will not dissipate like chlorine will, which is the reason the water company puts it in there. The only way is to use Prime or let the natural bacteria convert it. I would use the Prime because it works very quickly.

Francisco_Borrero
03-02-2003, 12:00 AM
Hi Cloak

I would love to see more and larger pictures of those fish. They look beautiful but I would love to see more detail.
So I understand you are having problems with flukes and skittishness, and the fish have been with you 3 months. In my limited experience this is what I come up with:

1- In 3 months they should have been completely settled down. The skittishness doesn't come from being new but from something else. My guess is a combination of elevated organics in the water, and or changing parameters associated with your water changes. Of course a location of much travel may affect this, but they normally get used to anything.
2- You are changing 50% water twice a week ("week" of 7 days, once every 3rd or 4th day?). Some people have success with that. I prefer more frequent changes, even if smaller. I bet it would be better with at least every other day (ideally everyday). Also, do you vaccum poop and leftovers from the bottom on the days you don't do water changes ? It will help greatly to do so.
Are you certain that your nitrate level is only 10-15 with the frequency of water changes your are currently doing ? It sounds unlikely.
3- I have never liked the idea of tap water straight into the tank. Not only chlorine and chloramines go in the tank, but pH fluctuations occur, and even the temperature is not easy to maintain. Occassionally towns' water plants "flush" stuff, "clean" storage facilities or pipes, and nasty water goes into the tap. Sometimes it only lasts a few hours. With direct tap into tank, one is at direct risk of full impact.
Much better to get a water storage container and aireate/heat/age water overnight.
You need to find out if your town uses chloramine, and if so, you need Prime or equivalent. Yes, they can be added directly to the tank (I wouldn't) but there are vthe problems named above.
4- Your fish seem to have flukes. All fish have them from time to time, and it is important to maintain them in check, and is not too difficult. Two possibilities: Praziquantel (Droncit) can be used, following a established procedure and it is fairly effective. Formalin drops in the water, also effective temporarily.

You have some beautiful animals and it shouldn't be difficult to get things straightened up.
Thanks for sharing your pictures. Cheers, Francisco.