PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Blackworms

fred flinstone
03-01-2003, 11:33 PM
Just wondering how many members feed with CBW . And how often ? :inquisitive:

Tyler
03-01-2003, 11:48 PM
I've been feeding mostly blackworms lately, although i do continue with other foods also. I have just noticed that the fish are much more active and healthy on large amounts of these worms.

Tyler

limige
03-02-2003, 04:54 AM
well i voted only but every once and awhile i throw in some tetra bits or discus formula, soon i'l begin with a beefheart mix.

Fisheyes
03-02-2003, 03:00 PM
I feed daily even the nickle size ones along with flake,and blood worms.
Biggest problem is they get so they do not want anything else. then I cut them back for awhile.
Fisheyes ;D (..)TEXT

korbi_doc
03-02-2003, 07:42 PM
:bounce2: :bounce2: I've been feeding the CBWs once daily, don't want them to rely on them so mix it up. Right now, I'm out & need to re-order tomorrow. They really do like them, but I still feed froz H. bloodworms once daily, so I think they do ok. The 3rd & 4th feedings are Hai Feng or Azoo pellets. lol, Dottie ;D ;D

yogi
03-02-2003, 10:11 PM
This might sound hypocritical, but I do feed them as dessert in the evening. The hypocritical part is that I know there is a risk of tapeworm when feeding blackworms. Discus are a long lived fish. A lot of times with blackworms there are other things mixed in like snails and leeches. They are both intermediate hosts for tapeworms. Also blackworms are raised in outdoor ponds. Birds poop in these ponds just like they do on your cars. There poop is also an intermediate host for tapeworm. It's a risk I'm willing to take, but I can understand why some people do not want to take the risk of blackworms IMO.

DarkDiscus
03-03-2003, 11:00 AM
I like the growth and color my fish get from blackworms but I don't want them to refuse other foods. I make sure my fish get a variety of foods daily.

John

03-03-2003, 11:55 AM
I have a confession to make about CBW. I was deadly against using them due to the fact that people in the forum make keeping them alive so complicated and sometimes you need a university degree just to understand the psychology of worm behavior and a master degree to keep them alive. An investment of a chiller or a frig is a little overbearing as an hobby. I recently obtained a pound of these critters for the first time and I happen to have a tank of culls that a friend brought in. They were picky eaters. Only nibble a little bit with tons of left over that required 100% W/C after each feeding. CBW did the trick. They are all eating and bagging for food after a week of them. Now they start eating medicated BH and on the road to recovery. Excellent food after deworming. The way they devour the CBW really help push the dead tape worms and round worms out of their system. I'm also using red wrigglers but nothing can beat CBW. I just keep them alive with a bucket of water and an airstone. They thrive for a simple mind like mine and actually reproduce in the bucket.
Jimmy.

TODAYBOB
03-03-2003, 05:59 PM
Hi Jimmy, How do you keep them without keeping them cold??????

BOB

03-03-2003, 06:14 PM
That's how they were cultivated in a pond. Not in the refrigerator in Ca. All they need is aeration and clean water at room temperature.

Jimmy.

TODAYBOB
03-03-2003, 06:27 PM
Hi Jimmy, Good advice. How deep is water ???? Why is it the first time this has been posted???? Problem with CBW has been keeping them cold. Why does Dan advise keeping worms cold?????

BOB ???

03-03-2003, 06:34 PM
Can't answer you. That's the first time I use them and I don't have the instruction telling me how to keep them properly. maybe the nutrient level decrease if they stay active in the water. We ordered 10 pounds splited between several people. My batch is the only worm is still living. I only keep them in a 5 inches of water mainly for easy water change. The others perished in the frig. Poor Dan have to ship in another batch for replacement. We only have to pay for the shipping cost. Very sound business decision.
Jimmy.

TODAYBOB
03-03-2003, 06:43 PM
Hi Jimmy, I have another ???? Do worms appear to live as long???? How deep a water did you keep them?????
Hope I am not becoming pain ????

BOB ;D ;D

03-03-2003, 06:52 PM
I'm planning to feed them with fish flakes after a week. If they don't eat them. At least my fish can. i can scoop them up with a BB net and feed the fish without trying to separate the flakes. I'm a beginner myself. A simple mind don't know anything better. Just picture them in the pond with water spray to keep them cool under the hot sun in Ca. I only keep them in about 5 inches of water with an airstone in a fish transport foam box.
Jimmy.

RichieE
03-04-2003, 10:45 AM
Jimmy a beginner? ??? How long do you have to live to consider yourself experienced? ;D Great tips on the worms. I will give it a try. It makes sense that it would work. Ive seen a huge blackworm shoot out from a UGF tube. Water was 86 degrees. Theres no telling how long he was down there. Rich

Fisheyes
03-04-2003, 02:41 PM
Hi Jimmy
I to keep part of mine in the window sill downstairs in the fish room.
I use a styrafoam container from Kentucky chicken .
However I only keep enough for three or four days downstairs the rest are in the bosses fridge.
Don't seem to die and I do not even have air fo them.However I do rinse daily
Ken

jim
03-04-2003, 11:10 PM
Feed them crushed Spirulina discs. You can keep them alive iindefinitely. No need to cool them. They need lots of air. I keep them in a 15 gallon tank with a sponge and small Aquaclear that I had lying around.