PDA

View Full Version : Clearwater Discus Pics

roger
03-03-2003, 02:48 PM
Hello Everyone

If you happen to be in the Central Florida area you should take the time to hook up with Brian from Clearwater Discus.

I have a few pics from the last roadtrip that I can share with everyone.

The 1st 2 are what we all probably want going on in our tanks :)

roger
03-03-2003, 02:50 PM
Heres another shot of that same fish but from a different angle.

Ill post more pics later.

I believe this was supposed to be a Red Spotted Saffron, but I may have that mixed up.

brewmaster15
03-04-2003, 12:39 AM
NIce photos Roger...such a beautiful site!

where abouts is this Discus breeder in florida? does he have a website?

-al

Jeff
03-04-2003, 01:26 AM
very nice. ;)

roger
03-04-2003, 07:58 AM
Hey Brew

He is in Clearwater FL, which is from my point of view just on the other side of Tampa. You take I4 into Tampa which turns into 275 then take the 60W (I think west) exit and he is about 10 minutes down the road.

No website, you have to call him since discus are what he calls his hobby :) If you want the # just email or PM me. He also might still be in the back of TFH

He has about 50 tanks setup in a nice neat arrangement.

Heres a list of what is breeding

Asian Turqs (I picked up 2 last time)
Striated Turqs
Ocean Greens
Red Spotted Saffrons
Thai Yellows
Leopards
Leopard Snake Skins
Blue Snake Skins
Blue Pandas
Red Pandas
Blue Diamonds
Red Yellow Ribbons

There are 2 sets that he is waiting for them to pair up. One being Emperor Reds (I think) and I cant remember the other one.

He also has blue ghosts available from time to time. I picked up a few of these guys as well.

Looking at the list of fish you can pretty much tell that his breeders, which are all full size adults, are from Wattleys and Macs Discus.

Ill post pics of the Thai Yellows later on, and the pics DO NOT do them justice.

Peace,
Roger

yogi
03-04-2003, 10:24 AM
I think the pictures look great. I really would like to see pictures of the Thai yellows.

roger
03-04-2003, 10:57 AM
Hey Jerry

Your wish is my command :)

Before the picture and tank critics start in, these pictures where taken just before water changes and just after feeding time.

Two shots of the Thai Yellows one with flash one without and they are actually brighter than whats in the pics.

You can use this pic to gauge the size of the fish, those breeding pots are the ones that you find at home depot for about 4$ each.

roger
03-04-2003, 11:02 AM
Here is pic #2

These guys are apperently tough to breed so I wouldnt expect the price on them to come down anytime soon.

The fish dont want to breed unless they are in a community tank.
Only small numbers of the eggs are fertile.
1/2 of the fry arent Thai Yellows.

When I was there Brian only had about 4 sets of fry and at best they are several months away from being at a saleable size. So everyone will just have to waite. Not to mention Brian has to save stock to grow up and try to fix the strain.

Not all of the fish have the white in them, I think about 1/3 of them did.

yogi
03-04-2003, 09:41 PM
Roger, thanks for the pictures. You did tell me the guy has some very nice breeding stock, and now I can see it.

flogger426
03-04-2003, 10:09 PM
roger,

real nice pics - those fish are as yellow as my saltwater tangs!

thanks for the info.

by the way i didn't know that there were more than three discus breeders in the world - thanks for bringing that to my attention ;)

later flogger

BLUEKNIGHT
03-05-2003, 01:17 AM
Really nice fish. Roger does he ship fish. and also does he have the solid thai yellows (small ones) for sale.

roger
03-05-2003, 11:33 AM
Here are a few more pics ..

Some blue turqs, I just cant remember if they are the striated or the asian. I think striated, the lighting was tough on this one.

The asians seem to be for the most part a more solid color but they do on occasion have strations.

roger
03-05-2003, 11:35 AM
Heres a pic of the snake skin tank, I think this is actually a pic of fish from different pairs. 5 fish in the tank and 2 of them paired up so they havent been seperated out yet.

Taken from across the room, since everytime you got close they would hide under and behind the filters :)

roger
03-06-2003, 02:42 PM
More pics ..

A few fish being saved off for breeding stock.

I believe blue panda based fish.

roger
03-06-2003, 02:43 PM
A pair of males removed from the breeding tanks to allow the females to raise the young. The blue diamond is actually behind the clay pot and your catching his reflection.

The other dashing fellow is what an adult Red Spotted Saffron looks like.

brewmaster15
03-06-2003, 02:46 PM
I like those breeding pots... does anyone else use something like that? and if so, where do you get them?

-al

roger
03-06-2003, 02:50 PM
Breeding pots are called rose pots at Home Depot, 3.97$ each I believe. I have em at home and I think Ill be switching to those instead of the PVC.

Roger

brewmaster15
03-06-2003, 02:51 PM
:)thanks!