PDA

View Full Version : Any learned responsed welcome

tomk
03-03-2003, 11:44 PM
Hi- ...I have just logged in. I started a 70 gal. tank, 2 yrs. ago, bought 2 great discus (from a repudable) wholesaler. everything was great for 6 months: the 3 inch green (called F1) wild discus grew about 1.5 inches, began feeding almost from my finger at the top of tank. then disaster!... Bloated bellies, the first started then died before I turned around (an exageration), the second was discovered one morning, and by the time I finished a 1 hr. jog - that one expired.
I am now wandering the net, and found your group.
Basic questions:
1. Apparently, discus are prone to reavenous appetites. I fed a variety of flake food (Hi protein), red earth worms, frozen discus mix. If you treat constipation (Assuming no other parasites) with Epson Salts, aren't you concerned w/ PH changes? of is the dose I've seen too low for the water to go alkaline.

limige
03-04-2003, 08:26 AM
not sure of what type of response your looking for....but no we don't worry much about ph change with epson salts. epson salts are good if you know whats going on.

for instance, if you feed shrimp pellets without soaking them and your discus becomes bloated.

if it's an unknown reason i personally try a dose of tetracyline. it's worked real well for me. some swear by epson's but i've only tried it once.

welcome to simply!!!! :wave: