PDA

View Full Version : Symptom of gill disease?

ChienHsu
03-04-2003, 02:33 PM
Hi!

I have three discus left after the disaster. They were eating well (feed with CBW and beefheart) and swimming well for the last several weeks. When I fed them last night, I noticed that one of them was swimming using only one side fin. The other side fin was sticked with body most of time and some rot shown on the side fin and the tail. Does it mean that my survive discus has gill problem again?

Please helps

Thanks

Chien

fcdiscus
03-04-2003, 03:07 PM
Hi Chien, It could be, could you enlighten us on the "disaster". Frank

brewmaster15
03-04-2003, 04:27 PM
HI Frank,
Chien had a very bad case of an external protozoan. Best guess we could make was blue slime or costia, or similar. It hit his fish hard and fast. He was able to get it under control with Maracide, and lots of water changes.

Chien.... its very possible you are seeing a secondary bacterial infection or a reinfestation of that protozoan.

-al

ChienHsu
03-04-2003, 04:38 PM
Dear Al:

Should I use maracide as we discussed last night or else?

Chien

brewmaster15
03-04-2003, 04:54 PM
Hi Chien,
I think I would try to redose again with the maracide, and watch for the next few days. But since these fish took a real beating the last time around they may be very susceptible to bacteria infection... keep the lights off as well.

You may want to pick up a general antibiotic just in case. Maybe something like Furan 2, or a sulfa based medicine.

hth,
al

fcdiscus
03-04-2003, 06:57 PM
OK Chien- I see you are in good hands! ;) Frank

ChienHsu
03-05-2003, 01:07 PM
Hi! Al:

Last night, I did 67% WC (50%WC then 33% WC two hours later) and dosed pure salt (kosher) about 1Tblsp/2.5 gallon. I have put back the UV sterilizer which I took out and clearned for my main tank. Then, I added maracide 1drop/gallon. While I was observing the behavior, I saw it was using the both side fins for simetimes.

My question now is should I do salt bath (dip) on this one?

Thanks

Chien

brewmaster15
03-05-2003, 04:35 PM
H Chien,
I would not yet. Also the uV sterilizer is not good to use when medicating. I don't know if it does affect maracide, but it can affect many kinds of chemical bonds.

hth,
al