PDA

View Full Version : What is everyone's water bill?

henryD
03-05-2003, 12:32 PM
I was sitting here at work. Reading through all the post still. I think I am about 50% done.

Someone came by and said I was really crazy and
they can only imagine what my house looks like.....

So I explained to him I was one of the more sane people. There are plenty of others on the dark side.....

I proceeded to show him what everyone else had for tanks.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=7631

Since everyone seems to be doing 50% w/c daily. My coworker and I were sitting around imagining what everyone's water bills were like.

Is anyone runing water from a well? How much is everyone's water bill?

In the town that I use to live in there is a seperate water meter for water that is going to a sprinkler system. It is cheaper rate because your not being charged for sewers.
I wonder if there is a special rate for Discus.....

My bill typically has been around $40 but I have been doing w/c every 3 weeks. But that is about to change so I can only imagine what it is going to be like....

roger
03-05-2003, 12:40 PM
Even with all the water changes my bill is only about 18$. Im on a septic system so I only pay for the water I use, not for water and sewage like most people.

RichieE
03-05-2003, 12:52 PM
Water is cheap compared to the problems you'll have to solve if you dont change enough of it. My tanks hold 215 galls of water and my guess is my bill is about $20 a month higher than it would be without them. I change aprox. 25%-35% a day.
Now the electric bill is another story...... Rich

Roger $18???? We use that much a month just flushing ;D

mutfish
03-05-2003, 12:54 PM
The sewage charge for my area is based on water use and is as high or higher than actual water cost. That's why I use a deionizing system, to avoid the waste from ro.

My inlaws who live 2 miles from me are on a septic system and their water rate is next to nothing.
A lower rate for different points of use is an interesting idea.

thebaglady
03-05-2003, 01:02 PM
I'm lucky to have well water...no chlorine removal, no water bills, but I don't like to "waste" the waste water from the RO so I use it to change water on African cichlid tanks and even to fill my washing machine.

Our septic tank/drainfill must be pumped out every two years by city code. I think the gas from the truck that comes to do this could kill nearby trees!!! LOL ;D

TimS
03-05-2003, 01:02 PM
my bill went from 20 to 43 a month.
I'm compensating by not showering but once a week.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
All for the love of discus!!

canuk
03-05-2003, 01:11 PM
I'm lucky to have my own well. Right out of the tap,the water is very soft but slightly alkalinic.No need for an RO or anything.However the well cost me 9K.

RandalB
03-05-2003, 01:13 PM
$22.00 in the Summer, $35 in the winter (RO unit is less efficient when the water's cold!)

RandalB

Aquatic_Design
03-05-2003, 01:24 PM
I am fortunate to be on a well so water hasn't been a problem. The electric bill unfortunately has doubled according to my husband. He very rarely complains about the fish but he felt a need to inform me of the electric bill increase. ::)

Donna :)

Aquarius
03-05-2003, 01:30 PM
Yep, that well water right out of the tap is great! No need to worry about the water bill...now the electric bill is another story ;D

Ever sit and wonder how much power that 240volt 40 amp pump is using to pump all that water? I know mine runs all the time when filling the tanks! I think it would be cheaper to have a city water system!

-steve

darcy
03-05-2003, 01:45 PM
well my water bill is from 14 to 16 bucks Canadian. I have 200 gallons of storage water in barrels full every day!! The electric part of it is higher but due to my city owning it's own power, my bill would be a little cheaper than the rest if the Canadians here. I also have an R/O system I run. So I guess I'm fairly ok on the water part!!
Darcy

wo
03-05-2003, 01:49 PM
Hi

I guess I am lucky to live in Taipei. I have to do water change for my 100g*1, 50g*1, 25g*1 and 6g*1 tank daily and my water bill is about USD5.-/months. Unfortunately, due to the El Nino( I can not find the Spanish ~ on top of the second n in my computer) phenomenon, we have a shortage of rain water last year and this year; so I fell quite quilty when changing water but I heard the same situation going on in California for more than ten years. I wonder how do the fresh water fish keeper deal with water change in California?

DarkDiscus
03-05-2003, 01:56 PM
I just got my water and sewer bill for the last 3 months and it was $108.

That's $36/month.

I can live with that.

John

thebaglady
03-05-2003, 02:10 PM
Aquarius...Mums the word about the electric bill OK. Up here in dem dark states, the electric bill is bound to be high in the winter anyways.

One time we thought our pump went out. We had well guys out and were dreading the news...big bill, new pump. Turns out, some mice had become so hungry, they had chewed though the wiring going down to the pump!! And who said all contractors are schiesters.

Some of my tanks do not have heaters. I use rainwater out of half whiskey barrels in the summer months. Hey, we make due and cut corners where we can becuz we love this hobby.

03-05-2003, 03:09 PM
My water bill has doubled since i started using a drip system...I'm often out of town for 2-3 days per week so i don't really have a choice-it's either drip or don't have fish...I pay about $75-80 every 3 months for water, and I've got a septic system, so no charge for sewer....Now the hydro bill(as other people said) is quite alarming...all those heaters going :o :o I think my hydro bill has almost(not quite) doubled for ten tanks....

ronrca
03-05-2003, 03:53 PM
Hmmmm! No wonder I dont have money! You bring up a painfil topic!

I pay $140 every 2 months ($70/month) for water use and $150 every month for power (I live in the city therefore water bill based on water consumption and sewage). However, with the power bill, I actually only pay around $80 for consumption/useage. The rest is all service charges, rate riders, CEO's salary, etc! It comes to also $100 just in other charges! Does that make any sense? >:(

This is all Canadian Dollars btw!

03-05-2003, 07:02 PM
$90.00 this past month....... grrrrrr

I'd hate to see how much it's going to be next month with an added tank or 2 or 3 :o

Beth

jim_shedden
03-05-2003, 09:33 PM
I am at $420.89 for 6 months.......I know bcause I just paid the da%$ thing...... >:(

gary1218
03-05-2003, 09:36 PM
First rule of discus:
NEVER, NEVER, EVER, EVER investigate too deeply how much these gorgeous fish REALLY costs us to keep ;D

Second rule of discus:
You never have ENOUGH discus

Third rule of discus:
See first rule of discus

GARY

Pat_in_NC
03-05-2003, 10:09 PM
I think I got you all beat--$60-$75/month in the winter (the price per unit water is 50% lower in winter) and $100-$150/month in the summer. On top of it all they have to chloramine treat the damn stuff....

Man why couldn't I have taken up golf as a hobby...

Rick00
03-05-2003, 10:32 PM
Hmmm...well i have u all beat....i pay 120 bucks a month...and i haven't even fired up my ro unit yet...
can't wait to see that bill....

As for the electric

Im the guy that makes all that electricity....so keep those heaters cranking and pumps pumping..

It keeps me working... ;D

Rick

Ryan
03-05-2003, 11:01 PM
I have well water... it's free ;D

Smokey
03-06-2003, 05:59 AM
Cut out the dishwasher...lol
Up here in the mountains the water is free, free.
The sewer and stuff cost $45.00 a month reguardless.
So 50 - 75 % w/c daily are the menu. Mind you, I do go through a bale of peat per month - $7.00.
If the discus are not happy, I'm not happy

Smokey

paulmat
03-06-2003, 06:16 AM
Mine run about 76.00 a mo.
I guess Im jelous of some of you and glad Im not some of the others ;)

Paul

Wahter
03-06-2003, 01:36 PM
I'm in an apartment, so my water is free (so far).

;D ;D ;D

Walter

EthanCote.com
03-06-2003, 03:10 PM
tee hee, just have to gloat a bit here. I get free water here in Montreal, but the electricity bill is another thing. >:(

Hmm whoever said we are slave to this hobby? Ain't i. ;D

Cheerio,

Chi.

brewmaster15
03-06-2003, 03:14 PM
I have a well, and the water is free.

But I have only lived here 3 years now, and have already burned out a pump, replaced most associated fittings , and had multiple serious surgeries on my aging boiler system. :-\ ...

.... Then theres the electricity to run the wells pump , and the oil to fire the boiler. .....

In retrospect... My waters not free :)

-al

Smokey
03-06-2003, 04:10 PM
Yes, Al... but is your beer !!??!

Smokey

brewmaster15
03-06-2003, 06:00 PM
for discus people.... always.... :)

http://a7.cpimg.com/image/45/7E/9233477-ad1c-021C0195-.jpg

-al

Pat_in_NC
03-06-2003, 08:37 PM
Al,

Man that looks good--I'll be right over! How do I get to Connecticut again from North Carolina--take a right in New York somewhere......

Tad
03-06-2003, 08:43 PM
hmmmm.....water and sewage @ $50 per month....Electricity for whole house $350 per month :-[....Not sure what the cost of electricity is for just my 9 aquariums :o

Tad

PS: beer looks good right about now ;D

Jeff
03-06-2003, 08:50 PM
My water is free as I'm in a commercial building. ;D However my electric bill last month was $397.29 for all the heaters, freezer, blower etc. :-\ In the summer my heaters seldom run so it makes up for it though.

BLUEKNIGHT
03-06-2003, 08:53 PM
My water is free. ;D

Steve_Warner
03-11-2003, 03:45 AM
Hi all,
Just pulled out a "new water rates" schedule from a previous bill. My water(3/4" line) costs-Tier 1= $1.38 per 1000 gals(up to 20,000), tier 2=$1.66(20,000-40,000 gals), tier 3= $1.99(40,000 gals and up) + 7.45 service charge + sewer fee of about $17 bucks flat fee + this fee + that fee + whatever other fee they feel like charging.

Steve

marti
03-13-2003, 12:05 AM
I live in the southern Sierras in So. Calif. My water bill is $55-$60 a month in the winter and $150-$175 in the summer. And, this was before I got back into Discus. Needless to say, I am not doing the no. of water changes that most of you do. However, I do many other things to try to compensate for this. So far, so good.

Marti :(

P.S. Our water rate is going up again. (We do have a large piece of property, but most of it is not irrigated at all.)

Steve_Warner
03-13-2003, 02:23 AM
Hi all,
Marti, I am very interested in hearing how you compensate for the water changes as I too do not do daily W/C's anymore and my kids are doing just fine. I feel guilty using my R/O to fill up my 50 gal storage tank once a week. I think as the water shortage situations get worse, it will be so important to figure out smarter ways to combat water use in the future. Since I live in Vegas(desert), the water is a precious resource and I feel I can keep my fish healthy and happy in ways other than just doing W/C's. I do not breed or plan to(just a hobbyist), yet my discus spawn all the time in my community tank. I don't bother to separate them or anything, just let nature take it's course. I wish I had more thoughts to experiment with to try to combat water usage and keep very healthy fishies. I'm still trying, though!

Steve

thebaglady
03-13-2003, 10:59 AM
Steve,

Instead of feeling guilty about doing what u must (regular partial water changes) find other ways to save and utilize your waste water....start some tanks with African cichlids, rainbowfish or livebearers. Use it for filling up your washing machine, flushing your toilets manually (using a bucket), doing dishes, watering your house plants etc...

When (and if) you get rain and you don't live in a real polluted area, catch some of it in buckets and use it for your discus tank. It's suitably soft, just like they want.

Don't overload your tank with too many fish. Aquarists of the past used very little filtration (no electricity to run the filters) but they did use plants to pull waste out of the system.

Carbon/ammonia remover is all good, but in the end, I'm sure you already know, ya gotta do the water changes, Maybe less frequently them some, but if you feed them , you can't get away from this necessary chore. It's the key to healthy fish. :-* Good luck overcoming your guilt!!

marti
03-16-2003, 12:45 AM
Steve,
I, too, think this is a topic that will become more & more important to those of us who live in arid areas. I am still working on this problem, but so far I have come up with the obvious ones of being very careful how much/what I feed (one pelleted food turns into a mess, but another one doesn't) and not overstocking the tank. In addition, I use pre-filters and clean them 1-2x/week and siphon up debris off the tank bottom a minimum of 1x/day, but usually 2x or more (I use Hagen's Multi-Vac with vinyl tubing extension and filter wool in bag which I clean daily). In addition, I have plant roots growing in the tanks and a large sword plant. I do about 25% WC/wk and, so far, they are eating and healthy. If they start to have problems (I watch H2O clarity very closely), then I change the H2O. I also monitor eye color and behavior for indications that the discus are less than happy with the situation.
I realize why constant H2O changes are recommended (Discus love clean water), but I think a more moderate approach might work, too. Especially, for those of us who pay dearly for our H2O.
marti 8)

BlueTurquoise
03-16-2003, 08:47 PM
my bill went from 20 to 43 a month.
I'm compensating by not showering but once a week.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
All for the love of discus!!

ROFL!

I rent so water is FREE! (within reason of course!)

Chong