PDA

View Full Version : How young is too young.....

RandalB
03-07-2003, 02:37 AM
Hi all,
Opinions needed,
How young is too young to get them started with discus?

Just wondering.... ;)

RandalB

Jeff
03-07-2003, 02:45 AM
That is the perfect age to get them started. As long as they can almost walk, point, and smile they are ready.lol ;)

BlueBull
03-07-2003, 07:46 AM
Hey pardon me, I', relatively new to Discus but I can see that this specimen is already off its parents' slime coating, well done! It should be starting on newly hatched Brine Shrimps about now. I like the youthful colouration and body shape. And that smile........timeless......

03-07-2003, 08:08 AM
Cute baby. A breeder friend of mine has a fry with the same age. He was holding on the tank learning how to walk. Banging with the beat on the glass and sang his love songs. Drove the breeding pair with fry on their back crazy but they never attack or eat the babies. I mean the fish babies.
Jimmy.

Jason
03-07-2003, 10:43 AM
the little girl that lives next door to me has been helping me do water changes and dig through worm bins for 3 years now,

she's 12 now, the same age I was when i got my first 4 discus, for x-mas I gave her a tank and 6 blue diamonds

03-07-2003, 10:52 AM
Hey Randal.......

Do you ship? Just bag that one and send it to me ;D

BTW.... I've had my 3 year old neice now for about 3 weeks and she really seems to enjoy the fish, I'm betting she'll be owning a tank with Discus in the real near future ;)

Beth

RandalB
03-07-2003, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the comments all!

Beth, That's private breeder stock sorry!

Little guy just loves to chase the fishies. I got some of him with the net that is in that pic but they did'nt come out.

That's Owen BTW he's going to be 10 months on the 9th. He already is looking for the beefheart! (I mean hotdogs, waffles, whatever his sister is eating, etc)

I have tanks planned for both kids rooms, but I have to get the planted display in the living room and the one for my bedroom done first (before the MRS changes her mind..)

RandalB

03-07-2003, 06:33 PM
Nice breeding stock indeed and I can't blame you for wanting to keep him for yourself ;)

RandalB
08-17-2003, 01:32 AM
Owen's sister Madeline decided to learn how to do W/C's the other day...

crazy4discus
08-17-2003, 02:04 AM
never 2 young lol and kool looking tanks

DiscusDiablo
08-17-2003, 08:18 PM
Great looking kid!!

Btw Beth_A it the water that Randel using to get those breeding stock so big!!

Mr. Limpet
08-19-2003, 01:23 AM
Randal, I have been in and out of Discus several times. Currently we only have a few, but they are young and we will see. When my kids were real young, I had things going pretty well with several pairs and a ton of growouts that we sold to LFS.
The kids didn't remember any of the babies when they hit their early teens. Fortunately I got back into it for another 2 years and they got to see the whole process. The problem now is, try and cull a fish!
I have plans to get the fish room back going, but not until I get the kids through college or whatever.
Enjoy those little ones while they are little, and enjoy them as they grow. It has been a great experience watching my kids ands all of their friends over these years. 16 and 17, I'm almost free!
Not likely free, but we will see. Enjoy the innocent smiles! Paul.

Surfghost63
08-20-2003, 12:41 AM
Hello Randal.

What a nice couple of kids you've got there ;) they look very healthy, Is it the RO water ? LOL.

Congratulations :drummer:

Regards,

Bill :guitarist: