PDA

View Full Version : black dots on marboro red juvenile

leechiahan
03-09-2003, 09:02 AM
do those black dots on maboro red juveniles fade away as they grow up? (about how many months do black dots fade out totally?)

Ardan
03-09-2003, 09:11 AM
Hi,
If you use a light backround on the aquarium, ie paint the back of the glass (outside) or put it by a white wall, etc it will make the dots less noticeable.

Here are some pics of before and after with my pigeon bloods
hth

Ardan
03-09-2003, 09:12 AM
after

03-09-2003, 10:10 AM
Hi leechiahan :wave:

Welcome to Simply ;)

Some pigeon bloods have much more pepper (black spots ) than others :-\ With the lighter backgrounds it helps to hide some of that black. Some of the pepper goes away with age but not all of it will :-\

HTH
Beth

slicksta
03-09-2003, 10:41 AM
Salt will counter the peppering......lol

just kidding.....just think of him as a red headed stepchild with freckles.....and love him.....

John

BLUEKNIGHT
03-09-2003, 02:53 PM
IT also depends on what ph you are keeping the fish if they are at a high ph you well see dots. Bring the ph down to 6.0.

Carol_Roberts
03-09-2003, 05:13 PM
I don't think the pepper ever goes away. As the discus matures it fades and is less apparent if they are healthy and happy - just like the vertical stressbars are less apparent in adult red turquoise, etc.

Shari
03-10-2003, 06:20 PM
I've got a couple of JW's Super Red Marlboro's and as they are growing, the black peppering is increasing fyi
;) Beautiful fish though!!!! I like the freckle thought!

spartyblaze
03-10-2003, 07:01 PM
IT also depends on what ph you are keeping the fish if they are at a high ph you well see dots. Bring the ph down to 6.0.

Is this true? I always thought the pepper dots were hereditary.
Is this something that breeders usually try to cull out? It seems as if most of the discus I find with large amounts of peppering are at LFS, mainly low quality LFS at that.

I don't think it's unattractive persay, but I'd like to know what causes them....

Big dance, here we come! Spartan Pride