PDA

View Full Version : Why won't they pair off? Help please

kyad02
03-09-2003, 07:36 PM
I have been into Discus and other tropical freshwater fish for about twenty years. I currently have 8 Discus in a 63 gallon tank ( this is a 55 high made by Oceanic) My fish are extremely healthy , eat a variety of foods including live blackworms, frozen blood worms, frozen brine shrimp and quality flake and get twice weekly 25 % water changes. I have naturally soft , 6.5 ph well water. The fish range from 3 to 5 inches. I have driftwood and a few plants in the tank. Water Temp is 86 degrees. I have a blue diamond , a marl boro red, two yellow diamonds, a San Marah, blue snakeskin and a blue torquiose. The often challange each other and eat out of my fingers but I can't get even one pair out of them. At least a few seem like females. Any tips or advice is appreciated. P.S. I also use Marc Weiss's Instant Amazon conditioner and have Big Penguin and Aquaclear 500 filters.

Jason
03-09-2003, 07:44 PM
first is make sure they are the right age, most discus will show signs of pairing around the one year mark.

second
you may need to stimulate them, in the wild discus have spawning season and they know when to spawn from the enviromental changes. so try stuff like raising/lowering the temp, ph, conductivity, water changes, and photoperiod even changeing the food you feed could get them going.

good luck!