PDA

View Full Version : nitrate removal

ChienHsu
03-11-2003, 10:01 AM
Hi!

I am at the second stage of fishless cycling (Nitrite spike). As far as I know that the fishless cycling is completed after nitrite is converted to Nitrate. Even though the Nitrate is harmless, is there any ways to remove it?

Thanks

Chien

lkleung007
03-11-2003, 11:50 AM
Hi Chien,

After the nitrite comes down and the nitrates spike, the best way to remove it is with a large volume water change (about 75%).

HTH, Lester

jeep
03-11-2003, 08:23 PM
Go to a garden store and buy some Pothos. Clip 6" to 10" lengths and drop it in the tank. They will thrive off of the nitrates in the water and add some greenery to the tank...

Carol_Roberts
03-13-2003, 03:48 AM
At the end of a fishless cycle you should follow Lester's advice and do a 75% - 90% water change befoire adding discus. Then follow Jeeps' advice and keep the roots of a philodendron or pothos in your tank to use up nitrates created through the nitrification process.

sumptnfshy
03-23-2003, 11:39 PM
I agree with the advice you have recieved they are all good practices. Aside from that there is a product on the market that claims to remove nitrite, nitrate, and phoshate and lasts for three months. It's manufactured by C&R products & sold under the name Clearwater. My lfs swears buy it, I have yet to try it. If anyone has had any experiences with Clearwater please do tell. I sells for $10 us per litre.

Hope this helps Chien. ;D

BlueTurquoise
03-24-2003, 07:06 PM
I was just about to say
Q: How do you remove Nitrates?
A: Water Change!

Carol beat me to it! :)

Chong

DavidH
03-25-2003, 11:29 PM
I've heard that you could put the whole plant "pothos" into the water, anybody doing this. Wouldn't the leaves rot in the water. Sure would look nice.

Dave

jeep
03-26-2003, 02:13 AM
Dave,

I just clip a long part of the plant and drop it in. The entire plant thrives, leaves included...

Good or bad, I have no idea but it seems to provide cover and security for my discus...

Carol_Roberts
03-26-2003, 03:12 AM
You must not fill your tanks as full of water as mine. The leaves will rot if totally submerged, but it takes a long time.

cobalt
03-26-2003, 07:31 AM
geez
am I the only one who uses a semi anarobic mitrate romover?
It is S O P in salt water reef setups?
or live rock in fresh water?
Cobalt

ChienHsu
03-26-2003, 09:40 AM
Hi!

I have put a set of a philodendron with long root in the tank. The water is crystal clear with greenery in the tank. The Nitrite level (over the chart) is still hvery high as well as Nitrate level in the tank. I am planing to do 25% WC daily. Am I right?

Chien

jeep
03-26-2003, 10:25 AM
You must not fill your tanks as full of water as mine. The leaves will rot if totally submerged, but it takes a long time.

The only reason I did that is because the very first reference I saw said just to drop a clipping in. So far (1 year) I don't have any rot and the tanks are full, but it is funny looking because the roots sprout all over the place. Almost looks like a big squid with leaves...

Steve_Warner
03-27-2003, 03:53 AM
I've heard that you could put the whole plant "pothos" into the water, anybody doing this. Wouldn't the leaves rot in the water. Sure would look nice.

Dave

Hi all,
I am doing an experiment with this right now. I have the full plant totally submerged in a 20 gal with aeration pumping in, through the plants. They have been in the water now for a month solid and I only have one leaf that has rotted. I am going to do small additions of pure Ammonia to see the uptake ability of them too.

Steve

DarkDiscus
03-27-2003, 10:21 AM
Interesting experiment, Steve! Please let us know how it works out.

John

DavidH
03-27-2003, 03:46 PM
Cool Steve, pls keep us updated.

Dave

CHughes
03-27-2003, 09:14 PM
This sounds very interesting to me as well. Steve please keep us posted.

Excuse my ignorance but what is a "porthos" plant??? I've never heard of this before, is there a common name or is it a philodendron? Am I out in left field on this?

Chris

jeep
03-27-2003, 09:33 PM
... what is a "porthos" plant??? I've never heard of this before, is there a common name or is it a philodendron?

basically the same thing. POTHOS...

CHughes
03-27-2003, 09:40 PM
Thanks Jeep. My water quality is pretty good, but nitrates are a constant battle!

Chris

Carol_Roberts
03-27-2003, 11:34 PM
Here's a picture

SSTurner
03-28-2003, 01:24 AM
Carol do you leave the plant in all the time? Can you put it in a fry tank? at what age? 1 post said that gill problems in fry can come from nitrate (Short gill plate) what do you think.
Is that the plant thats poison to dogs? Must be ok for fish. Thanks Steve

Carol_Roberts
03-28-2003, 04:02 AM
I don't think thephilodendron would hurt the fry, but I don't have it in the breeding tanks - just grow out tanks for fry 3 weeks and older.

On the Wayne Discus VCD we have as a prize for the Simply Birthday contests it states that one reason for short gill plates is too rapid growth as babies

Steve_Warner
03-28-2003, 11:13 PM
Is that the plant thats poison to dogs?

Yes, I believe it is........Al should be able to confirm this for us. You can do a search for this plant online under it's name and find lots of info about it.

Steve