PDA

View Full Version : Water Problems ??

discusnovice
03-11-2003, 05:18 PM
Some 3 months ago I established a new 29 gallon tank and added a few "ditcher" fish, 4 albino cats and two pleco's to get the tank seasoned.

I checked with a discus breader to see what his water quality was and he advised that his Ph was 6.5 before I ordered his discus. I got the Ph there with the addition of Ph down and kept it there for a few weeks.

Three plus weeks ago I ordered my young 2 1/2" discus and they were in a Ph of 6.5. I have had no proplem in keeping my water in that range with daily water changes and the addition of a small amount of Ph down to the holding tank. My water has stayed at the 6.4 - 6.5 range for three weeks now.

Yesterday it was reading 8.0+ and this morning it was reading PURPLE on the high scale which is 8.4 or something like that. Any thought as to why my Ph would shoot up. I have been using a Tetra product to remove the chlorides and I do age for 24 hours with two air stones running with heat in the water. I have been maintaining the water temp at 90^ but these past 3 days or so I have been bringing it down to 84-85 slowly.

My ammonia is reading 0. HELP and if you need any more infor, please let me know. As my name applies I am a real novice. THANKS!!

Ardan
03-11-2003, 07:54 PM
Hi,
Water changes with the seasons, rains, snow melt etc.

The cities water treatment plants often change the chemicals they add in conjunction with these seasonal changes to combat higher turbidity.
Test your incoming water and compare it to earlier stats on incoming water if you have that.

hth