PDA

View Full Version : do you feed beef heart?

gary1218
03-11-2003, 08:40 PM
For the past 3-4 months I've been feeding just CBWs. I have just 3 pairs of adult white butterflys that I'm trying to get "in the mood". Recently I just got in some new babies so I started up with the beef heart again. Even without heavy feedings and vacuuming everyday it didn't take long to notice the difference in water quality.

Soooooo, I was just wondering how many out there are still feeding beef heart? How many have stopped and are still getting the same results? OR, maybe even better results because the water quality is better.

Thanks,
GARY

03-12-2003, 12:04 AM
Gary: BH is the main course of all my fish for many years. That's the only food that I can control the ingredients and medication as well as dewormer. These are the mojor necessities to raise a healthy discus and be able to control the color and shape of their development. If you raise discus a little bit longer, you will realize most discus can be controlled by the keeper's TLC. and create wahtever the breeder wants with meds. and HORMONE. Most of the end users never knew they were fixed in today's discus.
I have problems shipping CBW to Canada. I had 2 dead shipments for the past month. Credited to the Custom Officer decided to detain them for 72 hours before releasing them. Tetrabit were out of stock for a while and the available stocks were rasied by a couple of dollars by some smart businessman. BH is the most reliable source of food for my fish.
Jimmy.

gary1218
03-12-2003, 08:12 AM
Thanks Jimmy.

Hey.......... are you ready for a visit from me and mench yet??? You've been posting pics of some great looking discus. I'm sure they're MUCH better in person ;D

GARY

03-12-2003, 09:41 AM
Gary: If you happen to pass by T.O. Give me a shout. I only have a few domestic stain left. A few Goldens, Red Melons SS and white Pigeons.I've moved most of my fish to my friends tank and let them continue breeding with the domestics while I'm concentrating on the wilds.
Jimmy

DarkDiscus
03-12-2003, 09:53 AM
Jimmy,

Any more pics of your wilds for us?

;D

John

03-12-2003, 01:34 PM
Yes John. I have some new RSG from Japaru. I'll post when they settle in.
Jimmy.

brewmaster15
03-12-2003, 03:11 PM
Jimmy...

Do not Allow Gary into your hatchery, unless you want a break from finding homes for your Fry... He's cursed ;D

Gary,
I'm feeding everything still.. Beefheart mix, dry pellets, flake, Blood worms, mysis shrimp, redworms and California blackworms.., marine cuisine, brine shrimp. San Fran bay...oceanic plankton, etc ... The only thing I don't feed is freeze drieds... Fish just don't like it.

Feeding only one kind of food is probably not too healthy for the fish though?

-al

gary1218
03-12-2003, 04:30 PM
Al,

NOW I know why NOBODY will let me come and visit anymore. You've been spreading the word on me ;D

Actually, I'm not thinking of going to just one food, such as CBWs. I was thinking of maybe just doing away with the beef heart.

But from the info here and also from DAAH the consensus seems to be to continue with the beef heart and keep up with keeping the water clean.

Sooooooo, the "new guys" did get there beef heart this morning ;D Flakes were on the menu for lunch and dinner and dessert will be live CBWs.

GARY

Carol_Roberts
03-13-2003, 02:38 AM
I don't feed beefheart anymore or frozen brine. Tetra bits, cbw, ONF flakes keep the water cleanest and fish grow like weeds.

allan_mark76
03-13-2003, 04:06 PM
Try Turkey meat instead of the BH...at least that's what I switched...it's not as greasy and still contains a lot of protein for growth. JMHO.

A-

gary1218
03-13-2003, 07:06 PM
Allan,

I see on the DAAH site where Willie posted he is using a 99% fat free turkey for his recipe. I guess that raw chicken/turkey thing just kind of scares me a little bit. Certainly is MUCH easier. Any body else using chicken or turkey?

GARY

Darren
03-13-2003, 10:15 PM
What about using shrimp instead of BH? Is that cleaner? I was at a breeder's place last summer and he told me he switched to shrimp in his mixes, cutting out the BH. Thoughts?

saints27
03-13-2003, 11:57 PM
Ive just finished skining ,deveining ,removing arteries from 6 kilo's of beef heart before adding the rest of my special (top secret )recipe and blending it all up.
I love to feed them beefheart and they love it as well ,it has top be the most economical good healthy food around .
Just my opinion

Jamie

Mat
03-18-2003, 03:50 PM
I dont know if Diskusin is available in the U.S but if it is use it. Many breeders and hobbyists use it in the U.K and its popular with the fish 8)

PARCS46
03-24-2003, 06:46 PM
Hi Guys: It's been quite some time since I've grown out discus fry or bred them. Twenty some odd years ago when I couldn't get the BH, frozen turkey & chicken breast supplemented as a great source of protien. Gary: Give it a try, but go easy at first If your a little nervous.

Hey has anyone ever tried lamb heart or ever considered it or have any input on the possibility! It was just a thought, how about some feed back.

Carol: As you know I just got started again, I hope this does'nt sound naive but what brand is ONF flakes. By the way my 8 week old tykes love the Tetrabits also it seems to color them up a bit, at this age they will eat all day, but I feed them 5 or six times daily, have to stay sharp with the water bio. In the morning their first feeding is live brine shrimp then Tetra richmix flakes followed with BH, next CBW then frozen turkey breast and finally the Tetrabits. I switch this randomly from day to day but always start with the live brine shrimp, as I find brine shrimp acts as a mild laxitive. My tap water is great for grow outs, Ph at 6.8, DhG is 8ppm & the NH3/NH4 at 0.0, not bad for NY tap water, hey mabey I'll get into the water supply business?

Untill Next Time, Keep On Trucking: Sincerely, 8) 8) (Discus Devil)