PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Age

03-12-2003, 04:13 AM
Hihi Everyone
I'm new in discus rearing
I really hope anyone out there can teach me or tell me

1) On average basis a female discus can lay eggs till what age ?
How to check that a female is not possible to lay anymore eggs ?

2) On average basis a male discus can fertilise eggs till what age ?

Thanks for replying and sharing your knowledge regarding this topic :)
I'm rather blur about this

Thanks

03-12-2003, 09:59 AM
Discus can lay and fertilize eggs till the day they die. Starting as early as 8 months. Female start laying eggs for a centain strain of discus. The number is usually very limited and scatter all over the spawning site. it's usually not worth the effort trying to save and raise a few babies. The peak will be a year and half. That's the time the male has the most viable sperms. They last of 2-3 years. and then the frequency of spawning will drop. I had female as old as 8 years old still laying eggs once in every 3-4 months. A BD males was able to back cross with the F4 great great grand children the last month before he died.
Jimmy.

03-12-2003, 10:54 AM
Hihi Jimmy,
Thanks so much for your precious experience
The frequency of the sprawning will dropped to 3 - 4 months per time ? but will the quantity be lesser ?
" The Male has the most viable sperms " at around 1 + years old , how about a 3 + years old male ? the sperms will be lesser ? or ? Heez , I'm not very sure with this part

Thanks so much

EthanCote.com
03-12-2003, 11:23 AM
Just to add more questions to the mixture. What are the spawning frequency of a pair? Say if they spawn today, when will they spawn again given if we take out the eggs.

And if the eggs were left with the parents, when will they spawn again? Once the babies are about a month old??

And is frequency strain specific?

Danks.

Cheerio,

Chi.

03-12-2003, 01:20 PM
Age affact the number of viable sperm for the male in a lesser extend than the female with the eggs. 3.5years is the peak of some Ghost stain discus while the Turks will start slowing down. I'll say the male will be still very productive at 5 years of age. For the younger pair carrying fry. Depending on the number of fry on their back. Some pair will spawn with fry on their back if the number is small. Some commercial breeders will have a brood every 10 days during their prime. Only allow they fry to feed on their backs for 3 days and separate them as long as they can feed on BBS or pass them on to a foster parents. For the parents who has over 100 fry and have them for more than 10 days. It's best to rest the pair before spawning them again. Just simply separate the pair. Otherwise they'll spawn again in a few day. But the fry will not grow properly with the same size.

03-13-2003, 08:37 AM
Wow !
Thanks so much Jimmy for your precious experience
Is there any Ticks that can made the female sprawn ? If the female haven't sprawn for 3 months already ?
I tried adding blackwater but no effect's

Thanks so much