PDA

View Full Version : what type of Discus is this please?

chrissyoscar
03-13-2003, 10:21 PM
Hi I'm new to Discus keeping and I purchased a few fish the other day. The guy I got them from wasn't sure what type they were so I'm hoping someone can help.

darcy
03-13-2003, 10:26 PM
Hi Welcome to Simply!!!!!
The fish you have purchased are pigeon bloods!!
Darcy

chrissyoscar
03-14-2003, 02:27 AM
Thanks Darcy for your help.

Here's another discus I've got but not sure what type he is.
Can anybody please help. Sorry about the poor photo.

Carol_Roberts
03-14-2003, 02:41 AM
The second photo looks like a snakeskin - does it have 14 vertical bars? These guys all look underfed. :-\ Are they eating for you?

chrissyoscar
03-14-2003, 02:41 AM
Here's a slightly better photo. Color isn't the best as I've just got him and he's a little dark from stress.

chrissyoscar
03-14-2003, 02:50 AM
Thanks Carol.

I've just got 4 discus and will be giving them some proper food so hopefully they'll fatten up in the next few weeks.
One of the pigeon bloods has a few white spots on his fin and I've also got another fish who's in bad shape any advise for me please.

Carol_Roberts
03-14-2003, 02:51 AM
Yep, that's a snakeskin. The picture you posted on the disease board is probably a blue diamond. Did you get four discus?

chrissyoscar
03-14-2003, 03:07 AM
Yeah I got 4 from him last night. I knew the blue diamond wasn't in the best condition but the other 3 seemed a lot healthier so I got the lot. He wouldn't seperate them and the price was low so I took the gamble.

Carol_Roberts
03-14-2003, 03:21 AM
These guys really need to go into a barebottom hospital tank. Do you have an extra 20 gallon tank? They should have daily water changes and possibly a course of metronidazole (hex-a-mit). Have you seen them eat or poop?

03-14-2003, 10:45 AM
Chrissy: I know you're excited with your new fish. Can you take an honest criticisim? Return them if you can. You don't want to start off your discus experience with these few fish. They are problem fish. Carol will lead you to the right direction.
Jimmy.

BLUEKNIGHT
03-14-2003, 11:09 AM
I would agree with jimmy.The blue diamond is really out of shape and healing i will take quite a while and plus there is a risk of the fish dying.

Wolf
03-14-2003, 01:39 PM
I agree with the last two comments. Those fish should have never been sold. It's nothing to be embarrassed about but now you know what to look for in a discus. Read the threads in the beginners board about what makes a discus bad or a good speciman. IMO all of your fish are in pretty bad health already and you will have a uphill battle ahead of you especially in a tank with gravel bottom.