PDA

View Full Version : Best filter media

guy_montag
03-14-2003, 02:45 AM
I have a ViaAqua 750, what is the best media setup for this canister filter? Any and all help is much appreciated.
Thanks

henryD
03-14-2003, 11:14 AM
In my canister I don't use any media. I have 2 sponge and some bio media that you can pick up at any local store. You can also order it online. It is cheaper.

www.thatfishplace.com

I found their price to be ok. I am sure someone will have a better online site for fish supply.

guy_montag
03-14-2003, 11:57 AM
anyone else? should i use mech or bio? i dunno because of all the water changing? any and all is appreciated.
thanks

Surfghost63
03-14-2003, 12:24 PM
Hi guy_montag.

I have not seen any Via Aqua Filter yet, but I suppose it's like a Fluval or Eheim.

The best bio media I've ever seen is the Sera Siporax and the Eheim Efisubstrat, both are really good, but expensive.

If you want something cheaper but effective too, try Sera Biopur Forte, is excellent :drummer:

I use AquaClear filters with one sponge and a bag (I use lady's pantyhoses to make the bag) of Sera Bipour Forte and I'm very happy with my water :thumbsup:

One tip, if you chose this product, be sure to buy the "Forte" stuff, there is another product called only "Sera Biopur" but it is meant for mechanical filtration only.

Good Luck,

Bill :guitarist:

guy_montag
03-14-2003, 01:11 PM
so should i use more mech or bio?

Surfghost63
03-14-2003, 01:16 PM
Hi again guy.

If the tank will be BB and you will be hard on w/c's you won't need mechanical filtration, the siphon will suck it all ;), beto on biological filtration only.

You can add two Hydros or Azoo's sponge filters and an air pump.

Cheers,

Don_Lee
03-14-2003, 01:17 PM
You want to use some of both mech and bio Guy. I would use something like the Eheim ceramic noodles, which are washable and reusable and do both mech and bio filtration. For additional mech, some sponge or efimech type material also.

Don ;D

PS-Welcome to Simply Discus

03-14-2003, 01:22 PM
Hi Guy ;D

I like the way that sounds ;D

Welcome to Simply Discus ;)

I have canister and hang on the back type filters, I like to use Bio-Max along with the sponges. They seem to do the job.

Bio-Max looks like little doggie treats.... noodle type thingies ;)

HTH
Beth

Surfghost63
03-14-2003, 01:26 PM
Sorry guy, I forgot welcoming you to the Discus Madness, ENJOY SIMPLY !!! :drummer:

Regards,

P.S. A pre-filter in the intake of your canister will help a lot :thumbsup:

guy_montag
03-14-2003, 02:15 PM
thanks for welcomes and your help

slicksta
03-15-2003, 09:42 AM
I use sponges, carbon and ceramic noodles in my Fluval canisters and it seems to work very well......
The sponges have there own two compartments on the fluval....then there are 6 equals to divide up between other media....I do 5 ceramic noodle and one carbon.The sponges and noodles are made by fluval and the carbon is Chem-pure by Boyd's......all very effective media...
welcome and good luck......... ;)
John