PDA

View Full Version : Time for Bacteria and/or flukes to leave an untreated planted tank???

Symphysodon166
03-15-2003, 02:40 AM
hey guys, I recently had a breakout that is under control in my bare tanks now- I took all the Discus out of my 92 gal. heavily planted tank so meds wouldnt ruin it. now its about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks later and Im going ot be getting some M. Remirazi ( rams ) from maxs the digital aquarium website that I would like to add and acclimate into this tank, and add Discus later. Is it too soon? Thanks for replies - Jason

Carol_Roberts
03-15-2003, 02:47 AM
Probably too soon. I don't know how long the cysts can live in the gravel waiting for new new fish to infect . . . but I'm guessing it's more than 2 weeks. . . .

jamesmcsyd
03-15-2003, 06:06 AM
Crank the temperature right up, maybe 35 degrees if you've only got hardy plants like swords. This should increase the life cycle of egg laying flukes to just a few days.

James

Ardan
03-15-2003, 09:35 AM
Hi,
I think if it were me, I would tear down the tank, sterilize everything, use alum on the plants (see disinfecting plants in the index of this "disease sedtion) and start to precycle some new filters. JMO I wouldn't risk it and some diseases/parasites can remain dormant for a long time.

hth

Symphysodon166
03-15-2003, 01:14 PM
Thanks guys

brewmaster15
03-15-2003, 04:38 PM
I agree with Ardan!

and when you talk to Max... Please give him my regards ... haven't talked to him in way too long!

take care,
al