PDA

View Full Version : Bloodworms

Tonyintx
03-17-2003, 04:31 PM
Just one quick question: do bloodworms have anything in them that make Discus show more color? because I've noticed that when I feed them bloodworms the next day they are showing great color? is it true or just my imagination?

PARCS46
03-17-2003, 08:38 PM
Hi Tony: How often do you feed the blood worms. Could be that there just happy to get the variety. Blood worms have only 5.50% protien,1.00% fiber and 0.50% crude fat, all the rest is water. A good flake food could have ten times as much. I would stick with the higher protien and fiber foods, but they love the worms. Never use Tubifex Worms, only the Blood & Black worms as to avoid any problems. All my fish love blood worms so I usually give it to them once a day, early in the morning after thier healthy feeding of live brine shrimp. Discus love a wide variety of foods, stay with the higher protien-fiber foods and you will see every color of the rainbow: 8) 8) Discus Devil

PARCS46
03-17-2003, 08:54 PM
Hey Tony: It's Discus Devil again, looked at your proflie, how's things in Tonio. Did my Boot there in 1954 at Lackland A.F.B for the USAF. Back then it was abig deal for a kid form NY to see the "Alamo," I'll be talking to you: 8) 8)

Tonyintx
03-18-2003, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the reply, I only feed it to them every other day but the day after they get the blood worms they look even more colorfull go figure. I must not get it sorry" the BOOT"? please explain. ;)

jim_shedden
03-18-2003, 08:25 AM
Hi Guys : Heres something you might want to try. I use freeze dried blood worms...................the protein is up in the 50% range and my fish love them. I am one of the individuals that has an allergy to bloodworms so I have to be careful. It is true that most of the fish love the frozen worms but be very careful that you do not touch your eyes afterwards............make sure you wash your hands.

PARCS46
03-18-2003, 09:49 AM
Hi Tony: In Jan. 1954 I completed my Basic Traning(Boot Camp,) 16 weeks for the US Air Force. After all these years the one thing I remember most was the afternoon heat. Sometimes it would hit 105 degrees and then fall of at night to 55 or 60 degrees, could not believe the temp. swing! You went from the oven to the cooler in a matter of six hours or so. Back to the blood worms, I like Jim's post and he's on the money, but I think I would rehydrate the freezdried worms to soften them a little as Discus seem to thrive on tender loving care. I think we all can appreciate the return we get for sticking to our dedication in rearing and breeding the most beautiful tropical fish species ever created. See ya later: 8) 8) Discus Devil

Tonyintx
05-05-2003, 01:13 PM
Parc sorry excuse my ignorance Boot camp duh, well nowa days it's just hot hot here all the time day night. we only have 2 seasons here cold or hot for example just this yr we went from using the heat one night to using the AC the next night go figure. crazy Texas weather but I love this place. I would never leave.

flogger426
05-05-2003, 10:59 PM
bloodworms are not worms, but midge fly larvae. could explain the lack of protein. i really like jims idea re: freeze dried blood worms. i'll give this a try.

jim - i always had problems with these things not sinking and floating on top of the water. is there anything you do to prepare them before you put them in the tank?

john

discus_nw
05-06-2003, 12:41 AM
The reason why the dry food has a higher protein content is because of the lack of water. After you rehydrate the freeze dried bw's, you'll have the same protein value. The same is true for flake or pellet food. Once the flake is rehydrated, it's protein value will be that of or less than a frozen bw. You must factor that into the equation, because the discus is eating a rehydrated food. Frozen food is the better value most of the time.

Insects are a great protein foodstuff, by the way. :)