PDA

View Full Version : disease carriers

gary1218
03-17-2003, 11:28 PM
I hope this isn't a dumb question. But, too bad if it is. It won't be the first time :D

With all the posts on quarantining discus one comment that often comes up is that some discus can be disease carriers. They look and act perfectly healthy and show no signs of the disease they are carrying. But, when you put in another discus with them in a short while this new discus will start showing the signs of the disease.

My question is can you "cure" these disease carrying discus? If so, how? Would you treat them the same as if they showed the symptons of the disease? Once you treated them should they no longer be carriers?

GARY

CARY_GLdiscus
03-18-2003, 02:38 AM
Hi Gary,
When I bring New discus in I put stress on them ASAP. I do this buy raiseing the heat to 90F which You should do anyways on all newly moved Discus to get them eating again.

Anyways I raise the heat and add 1 tbs of salt per gal. I also add Maracide at 1 drop per gal. I can tell You this if they are carrying any protozoan problem's or Bac infections They will show signs in a matter of days.

The next Best thing to do when You notice a problem is do what so many rarely do and have them tested untill then its all a guessing game and time wasted.

In the mean time when waiting for results its best to use a dye like green or blue with alot of salt 1 tbs per Gal. IMO I would keep the temp mid range 88F untill you know What your dealing with.

When You find out if its Protozoan or BAC And most times its both Only then would I raise the temp to 93F This is ofcourse you are useing the proper Antibotic at proper dose at the time.

Hth
TakeCare,
Cary Gld!

P.S Gary they are never carriers they are only immune to there problem and live in harmony with it! CAN IT BE CURED YES! sometimes after the fatel stage most will over come there problem with W/Cs and A new move to a fresh tank alone. This ofcourse only applies to bacs that are allways presant in Your tank like Pseudomonas, flavobacterium, ETC
Others may need to be delt with Antibotic's.

Remeber Flukes and poor water Quality can be the start to some of the minnor bac problems.

gary1218
03-18-2003, 07:29 AM
Thanks Cary. GREAT info.

Can I ask where you send your fish to for analysis and what the cost is? Also, when they isolate what the problem is do they also then give you a course of action to cure the problem?

GARY

PS If you're bringing in a batch of relatively inexpensive discus would it be worthwhile just sacrificing one discus and sending it in to be analyzed?

Does anybody routinely sending in a fry or two from a large spawn you've had just to be sure there are no problems before you ship/sell them?

CARY_GLdiscus
03-18-2003, 09:27 AM
Hi Gary,
Yes after testing they Will give You a course of action and A treatment.

IMO its best to test a few from a new batch before they are added to existing Stock or sold. Anytime I import I allways send as few down This gives me a chance to make a 6 week QT into a 2 week QT that's ofcourse if nothing is wrong.

Also as long as am keeping a closed house hatchery I do not do any testing. But if I bring Discus In and land them in My Qt room and then notice something funny in My main Hatchery its allways good to check and see every now and then.

Gary if You need help getting started give me a call. Below are docs I would recommend. Some are free others are $20 a Fish
HTH

Mike Mauel
Veterinary diagnostic laboratory
P.O box 1389
Tifion GA 31793
(229)386-3340
FAX (229)386-7128

Craig Banner in Oregon
OSU Department of microbiology
corvallis, Oregon 97331
(541)-737-1857

gary1218
03-18-2003, 01:47 PM
GREAT, thanks again Cary :D

GARY

PS You STILL be "DA MAN" ;D

TnMark
03-18-2003, 07:28 PM
Cary, if I am buying fish that are disease free from a reputable dealer like you, why would I need to quarentine fish when I receive them?

CARY_GLdiscus
03-18-2003, 09:01 PM
Because My friend its the Law!

Mark There are many Bacs allways present on your discus and in there tank. One bad shippment Either from cold weather,to long of a trip, spoiled water, banged around and kicked, or to hot! is enough to set it off to cause a problem to the new discus and your Olds.
HTH
TakeCare,
Cary Gld!

daninthesand
03-18-2003, 09:24 PM
Cary I don't get it? Why would anything happen to my Cutlass?

::)

CARY_GLdiscus
03-19-2003, 12:50 PM
LOL!

brewmaster15
03-19-2003, 04:46 PM
Because My friend its the Law!

AMEN!!!!!!!
-al

nalah
03-20-2003, 08:40 AM
ok,here goes - another stupid question Cary.
you mention green or blue dye.
what will this do?
are you talking about plain cooking colour dyes here?

brewmaster15
03-20-2003, 10:47 AM
Hi pascale...

green= malachite green
blue= methylene blue

:)

-al

Jason
03-20-2003, 10:51 AM
GREEN= Malachite Green
BLUE= Methylene Blue

Jason