PDA

View Full Version : Why Beef heart?

Lance_Krueger
03-18-2003, 11:30 AM
I was talking to one of the techies yesterday at the Texas Beef Council, trying to find a source of beef heart with no hormones. I have been noticing some extra long fin growth in many of my discus (most of the males, and even some of the females have rather long streamers on their dorsal, and even some tail fins look like veiltails), which I think is attributable to growth hormones in cattle.
He asked me why I wanted to use beef heart, as it had so much connective tissue in it compared to other cuts of beef. He said that any kind of meat that is required to expand (like the heart, skirt steak (aka fajitas), diaphram, etc.) all have large amounts of connective tissue to allow that muscle to expand and contract. He said that he thought something like round steak would be better, since it has little connective tissue. I told him I really didn't know why, but I thought the following reasons were why beef heart was what many discus keepers used:
1). It's the cheapest cut of meat there is: 99 cents per pound at the supermarket, or $1.99 per pound for organically grown.
2). When trimmed, it will contain no marbling of fat, and will give you a pure chunk of red beef.
3). Since we grind it up, and run it through a food processor, I didn't think connective tissue would matter that much since the grinding process would break up the connective tissues.
Are there other reasons, that I didn't list? Is there something about the amount of protein or other nutrients in beef heart that makes it more desirable to feed to discus over other parts of a cow? I have heard that one guy uses ribeye instead of beefheart, but I would think this would be really marbled with fat.
Another bit of interesting information he gave me is that all cattle, whether organically grown (i.e. pasture fed) or hormoned (i.e. feed lots) all have growth hormones. Organically grown cattle have it naturally, as God designed them. He said that they can only give cattle a certain amount of growth hormones in the feedlots, and it is only a difference of a few nanograms (I don't remember the exact numbers but could call him back). He wasn't so sure that getting organically grown beef heart would make that much difference, but he said that in an animal the size of a discus, it could make a difference, compared to a human.
Any thoughts?
Lance Krueger

brewmaster15
03-18-2003, 12:38 PM
Hi Lance!
Have you seen this thread...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=954

we had a pretty good discussion there.

). It's the cheapest cut of meat there is: 99 cents per pound at the supermarket, or $1.99 per pound for organically grown.
2). When trimmed, it will contain no marbling of fat, and will give you a pure chunk of red beef.
3). Since we grind it up, and run it through a food processor, I didn't think connective tissue would matter that much since the grinding process would break up the connective tissues.-- that pretty much somes it up. Though I think the muscles fibers of the heart are shorter than in say leg muscles, so it may be easier to digest.

I have been feeding my discus lean deer meat, and recently started feeding fry it ( I dehydate and grind it)
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=7693

hth,
al

Others use turkey heart, ox heart, etc.

Mike_Wells
03-18-2003, 01:44 PM
Deer Meat??? How's that working for you? I use Deer Hearts all the time. I was going to try Deer Steak once... It was lean/no fat but there still seemed to be lots of membrane so I canned the idea.

Mike

brewmaster15
03-18-2003, 02:50 PM
Been working fine so far, they seem to like it better than Beef. I just take the steak and trim it so its just the meat. I don't bother mixing it with anything like the beefheart mixes... just the deer, and Shave it frozen into the tank. The slices are so thin they thaw when it hits the water. I've been feeding it a few times a week in a couple of tanks.

-al

gump
03-18-2003, 06:03 PM
Sorry Al, any venison in this house has to get past me first!!! Deer steak to my Discus!!! HA LOL I think not!! They can get beefheart, deer heart, but thats it... the rest of that deer is mine!! I'm making my beefheart tonight BTW!!
Pierre

Mike_Wells
03-18-2003, 08:17 PM
;)

Desertdrifter
03-19-2003, 01:41 AM
any of you eaten beef heart ? yum yum!!!

Rick_May
03-24-2003, 12:40 PM
Lance,
It’s not the connective tissue that is the issue it’s the fat. Beef heart is the leanest part, once you remove the layer of fat on the outside. Round steak and other cuts will have fat marbled into the meat. A prime beef isn't a healthy animal they have far too much fat, and the only exercise they get is being herded up a slaughter chute. You would be amazed at by comparing a heart from an elk to a heart from a cow. The elk heart is darker in color, has more muscle and much less fat.

Al--
My fish prefer wild game heart also; I'd guess its better quality than any animal that just stands knee deep in filth. I’ve just used up the last of the elk heart from last year.