PDA

View Full Version : what are needed ??

caspias
03-21-2003, 02:16 PM
Hello everybody !!

I need infos about RO. My questions include :
What is the function of RO ? Is it a must to use this for the water for discus? How much does it cost in the market, or is there anyway to make the DIY type ? If somehow I cannot get this RO thing, is there any alternative device or way which produce the same result ?

Any additional infos are greatly welcomed.

Thanks.

03-21-2003, 05:13 PM
You need O/R unit if your local water do not meet the requirements of your fish. Discus requires water with low conductivity and lower Ph during breeding time. R/O water will meet the criteria of breeding. You don't necessary need R/O water to daily maintenance of the fish if your water is not too hard. It ranges between $80-300 depending on the daily output and the number of stages of the filter. You can DIY if you are handy and have enought fitting to join all together in series. The most important part is the R/O membrance.HTH
Jimmy.

caspias
03-23-2003, 01:52 PM
thanks for your reply Jim. It's quite expensive I think. Could you tell me which site describe how to build a DIY RO device?

Thanks.

Carol_Roberts
03-23-2003, 07:03 PM
RandalB has some for sale here that are quite reasonable. . .

DiscusGeo has posted a parts list in the past for building your own.

Mat
03-24-2003, 09:11 AM
I think R.O units are excellent mine takes out about 99 % of the metals, contaminants, chlorine etc out of tap water amking it almost pure, the only downside is the water becomes very soft so unstable, it takes a while to find a balance using either buffers, a percentage of tap, or a cbr ro mix.
But once you get the right mix i fully believe the fish benefit. ;)