PDA

View Full Version : Need help sick fish???

sumptnfshy
03-22-2003, 08:27 PM
To start off ill give my tank perameters: 30 gallon
ph 6.5 steady
no2 0.0 mg/l
nh3 & nh4 0.0mg/l
gh 220 ppm
kh 3 deg
temp 86
i perform weekly 20% water changes

I recently (3 days ago) purchased a pair of juvenile discus(2" in length) to add to my trio of similar sized discus. the pair did fine and ate within an hour. The dominant fish then began to bully her new tankmates, conseguently one of the new ones confined herself to a corner and refused to eat since. I thought this to be normal for a new discus and thought nothing of it. When i got home today i noticed her equillibrium to be off she just lays on her side if she isnt moving. her color seems only slightly darkend. she has no visible signs of any parasites, finrot, ick, hlle, etc... Her breathing is moderately labored.

I transferd her to a 5 gallon hospital tank with the same perameters as listed above except i elevated the temp to 90 and added 1/2 tbs of salt. Advice on treatment would be apprerciated. Im hesitant to perform treatment for it might make things worse. I think it might be a bacterial issue.

Oh I almost forgot i wasn't abe to observ her feces but all the others have normal feces.

:-\

Ardan
03-22-2003, 10:37 PM
Hi,
I recommend more wc's for starters. Probably at least 30% 3 times a wk.
I do 50% /day.
A 5 gallon tank is hard to maintain temp and water quality (it changes fast in a smaller tank)
You could up the salt. At least 2 tblsp/10gal.
2 inch fish are quite sensitive to changes as their systems are not fully developed. Transport is hard on them. Bullying is also harder on them.
Quarantine is highly recommended with new fish in case one or the other has disease, so that all are not infected.

hth