PDA

View Full Version : Just In From Cary With Update!!

Diceman
03-24-2003, 01:03 AM
Well the tank finally cycled and I was able to receive the fish Cary had been holding for me for almost a month. I picked them up at the airport at 10pm Tuesday night. I didn't finish getting them out of the bags until almost midnight. Then I couldn't sleep for worry that something might happen to the fish overnight. This made for a long day considering I get up for work @ 0530 in the morning and was in the middle of a big laboratory audit.
For the most part they're settling in well now. I've been breaking them into the new environment gradually. Yesterday was the first day I left the light on in the aquarium. They're still not comfortable with living room life, but I'm confident they'll adjust. For now we tip toe around the aquarium. All fish are eating although I also seem to have the obligatory sulker. It comes out to eat but is shyer than the rest and even showed a bit of darkness when I tried to photograph it. The camera really scared it. Otherwise it appears healthy, no signs of disease.
The current temperature is exactly 86 degrees (calibrated thermometer) Nitrites and ammonia are at zero. PH is 7.5, DH is 5, KH is 3.

At any rate here are the pictures. These are Red Royal Blues in the 2 1/2" range. They're young yet and didn't much care for the camera, but they have very nice shape and a lot of potential. I also must appologize for the poor photography.

Diceman
03-24-2003, 01:05 AM
One more picture. I'm quite pleased with the fish and can't wait for them to grow out. Oh, as Cary is known to do I ordered 7 fish and received 9!

Jeff
03-24-2003, 01:10 AM
Looks like Cary did you very well! :thumbsup:

April
03-24-2003, 01:14 AM
Congrats. and i think Cary sent you some very nice fish.
hope you enjoy and update us as the settle in and grow.
love his red royal blues.

Carol_Roberts
03-24-2003, 01:18 AM
Round, fat, healthy juveniles with erect fins scouting for food . . . what more could you ask for?

Ardan
03-24-2003, 07:12 AM
Looking good! :thumbsup:

gary1218
03-24-2003, 08:17 AM
DEFINITELY nice round bodies on those guys. I like the finnage as well :D

GARY

Mat
03-24-2003, 09:03 AM
Yes i agree with gary good shape for young discus i think youve got some potential in that tank, keep us posted. :smash:

mench
03-24-2003, 10:03 AM
Another fine job by D.D.King....not B.B. King,but Detroit Discus King 8).I know those lil guys will be super when they get bigger...I love the high fins on those guys.

Mench

gary1218
03-24-2003, 01:47 PM
Ron,

It's not D.D. King. It's JACK JR., as in Jack Wattley Jr. ;D

GARY

03-24-2003, 08:41 PM
Hi Diceman.....

Great looking babies...... I wouldn't have expected any less from Cary...... He really know's how to grow em :thumbsup:

Good Luck with em and please post pics as they grow ;)

"Congrats"

Beth

thebaglady
03-24-2003, 09:08 PM
Red Royal Blues....really regal! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Diceman
03-25-2003, 01:45 AM
Thanks for all the positive comments. I was pretty specific in what I was looking for in a discus, and Cary was very happy to work with me in selecting the type of fish I desired. I'll keep you all posted as they grow and mature into their colors. They're doing better every day and eating like pigs.

Diceman
04-07-2003, 12:47 AM
Two weeks later... P.S. The fish were not being cooperative. That is to say they're camera shy. With their fins full spread they look even better!

04-07-2003, 01:29 AM
Hi Diceman,

you have some high quality discus to work with.

Good luck.

alex

Carol_Roberts
04-07-2003, 01:38 AM
Beautiful discus. All healthy. I can see they've grown.

Let me tell you, it's alot more fun to see pictures of quality discus on the general board than be trying to help diagnose on the disease board :thumbsup:

Nathan_T
04-07-2003, 11:18 AM
Great looking Discus! Congrats. ;D

Nathan

thebaglady
04-07-2003, 12:16 PM
Beautiful!!

Look how they've grown!! :o

Keep up the good work Diceman!!

Diceman
04-08-2003, 12:32 AM
Thanks for all the positive statements. I'm very happy with the fish Cary sent me, and will keep everybody updated on their progress. I can't wait for them to grow up. If I ever get over the sinus and ear infection I've been suffering I may even build a small website for other beginning to intermediate discus hobbyist.

Cheers

Eric

Miles
04-08-2003, 10:53 AM
Diceman,
Get well soon. Very Nice Fish!!!!

Miles :thumbsup:

CARY_GLdiscus
04-09-2003, 11:22 AM
Keep up the good work Eric! :o

Diceman
05-04-2003, 10:03 PM
Another month goes by.

thebaglady
05-04-2003, 11:15 PM
Wow!! They just get better and better. Great color, high fins, size....You're doing a wonderful job!! Jen K. ;)

05-04-2003, 11:18 PM
Dam, you are doing a great Job raising those fish.
My hats off to you.
Very nice fish you have. Keep the pics coming as the months go by. Your going to have a tank full of very nice large fish it look like.
Good work, Matt

April
05-05-2003, 12:13 AM
wow those fish have grown like crazy!!
they really are turning out very nice. congrats and you have done fantastic.
keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

05-05-2003, 01:46 AM
Hey,

that is great.

Keep us posted.

alex

BLUEKNIGHT
05-05-2003, 08:46 AM
Awesome. Keep us posted on their growth.

thebaglady
05-05-2003, 10:22 AM
Diceman, I was thinking since you're providing such an excellent example of what you SHOULD do, would you mind providing some specifics:

frequency of water changes
percentage of water changed
size of tank
feeding schedule
what you're feeding
whatevr else you think is pertinent....

Thanks. Again, they are awesome!! Jen K. ;D

Diceman
05-06-2003, 12:53 AM
Diceman, I was thinking since you're providing such an excellent example of what you SHOULD do, would you mind providing some specifics:

frequency of water changes
percentage of water changed
size of tank
feeding schedule
what you're feeding
whatevr else you think is pertinent....

Thanks. Again, they are awesome!! Jen K. ;D

Sure thing. No secret formula, just what happy discus owners are always harping on. 30% daily water changes with quality water that has the same characteristics as the water it is replacing - same temp, PH etc., 75 gallon aquarium, feed as often as I can - 5+ times daily, mostly beefheart with some frozen bloodworms for variety.

I do use two distinctly different beefheart mixtures. The first beefheart I feed them was a botched job where I substituted spirulina powder for spirulina flake at at least a 1/2 to one ratio, and added some beta-carotene squeezed right out of the little capsules to boot. What a mess. I thought I had ruined a whole batch of heart, along with the shrimp to go with it. I was dying to know how my fish might look as they mature so I gave them a taste of the stuff to see if they'd eat it. The fish love it. So yes the fish are color fed.

I alternate between that and a more conventional beefheart mixture. I presume the two mixtures have distinctly different flavors, which gives the fish a bit of variety. Some of the fish show a strong preference for one mixture over the other, but which mixture they like best changes from time to time. Seems they'll get hooked to one variety for a few days, then show a preference for the other for a few days.

I feed the fish by hand, making sure everybody gets their share, and there is very little food making it to the bottom of the tank. I have one spoiled fish that will only eat the food that is stuck to my finger. Go figure. Hope this helps.

thebaglady
05-06-2003, 01:47 AM
Thanks Diceman.

Yes. All those are the good things, but it must be the extra TLC (hand feedings) that are making your babies shine!!!!

You're a heckava "Dad"!! ;D ;D ;D Jen K.

Shari
05-06-2003, 02:18 AM
Eric I'm totally impressed. Just beautiful is an understatement. Your making me want my dream again of a tank with school of same Discus - the look of it has always gotten to me...but when it came to it I was afraid I'de get bored so got alot of different types and colors instead - which I love - but seeing your tank, boy I got to think how to get one more tank in here...haha!