PDA

View Full Version : Washing beef heart before feeding.

blackghost
03-24-2003, 01:30 AM
All of us know feeding beef heart, goat heart is really good for discus, they grow fast, stay healthy and it's a safest food available.
But with all this advantages there are some disadvantages, what about the water changes needed after every feeding and siphoning the bottom.
So what's the answer?
I usually feed shredded beef heart so I was thinking of washing the shredded heart in a mesh so the flowing water takes all the tiny bites of heart which at list my fishes don't eat and that's what I usually siphon.
But with that the BH looses its red color, so my question is that does it looses its nutrients with it?
This will also help in keeping the tank clean, I had an outbreak of small worms in my tank I suspected that those tiny bits of BH go into filter and spoils the water and worms love to breed there.
I am gonna try it out not in tank but in two glass containers to see how much difference it makes and I might consider putting up photos of the result but no promises about photos.

cobalt
03-24-2003, 04:54 PM
Hi
I had simmilar problem with chicken heart.
The remedy is simple , use a corser (not fine) grinder so you get less small chunks, wash it B4 you grind if you wash after you may lose some of the peices the fish eat! Also you may be left with the hard chunks and not the soft flesh the discus eat!
Cobalt

carman
03-25-2003, 11:31 PM
I wash BH with cold water but when I put it in the tank, warm water also makes the red color goes away.

hmm I also think it may loose the taste and nutrition as well..

any ideas?

carman

blackghost
03-26-2003, 08:40 AM
What is the heart made up of?
As I have heard pure proteins and vitamins, so even if we wash it it's still good.
It's just like we do, we wash meat/chicken etc before cooking.
I think it's still a good food for them.
What do u think guys.
You better check out the link below before it's removed

For raw beef heart

http://www.doggieconnection.com/recipe/info/beef_heart_raw.html

For cooked/simmered beef heart

http://www.doggieconnection.com/recipe/info/beef_heart_cooked.html