PDA

View Full Version : My importing experience

Discusgeo
03-25-2003, 09:40 PM
I just recently imported 20 Discus from Singapore for my own use and I have been ask to share my results with others so here it goes. I first off checked with my local Fish and Game on the Import License. When I did I also took one of my Discus books to show them what Discus were. They ask me if they were for resale and I said no. I was told I did not need the License but I would check with your local office just in case you want to do the same thing. I purchased my 20 Discus from Chai Discus Farms in Singapore and all are 2 inch in size. I ordered the Super Red Melons and the Leopard Snakes 10 ea. All arived in Los Angeles at LAX and I did not have a single problem going thru customs. I think it was because every fish importer in the State was there picking up at least 50 boxes each and I only had one so I was thru the line quickly. I opened the box and inspected the Discus and all arrived alive. Now Mr. Chai did some very nice packing as all the Discus were packed in there own bag and each was stilled filled with air and no water loss. The bags were heat sealed in 2 places and looked as if they were vacuum sealed but it was done the other way. Because I could not get a plane ride back to Phoenix, Arizona that night I drove to California so my trip home was 6 additional hours for the Discus. All arrived home just as I saw them in LAX and started to adjust them to my warm water. I checked the first bag and the water was soft and I just happened to have a tank ready with soft water that night so about 1 hour after giving them a short dip in Methylene Blue I placed them in a 100 gallon tank and turned out the lights. The next morning I fed them frozen Bloodworms and they been doing fine since. The Super Red Melons at 2" are a light colored red and the Leopard Snakes are already showing spots over half there body. I think I got a fantastic deal from Mr. Chai after several Emails and in return he sent me some very nice Discus. Don't get me wrong here, there are some very nice Discus for sale here on the board. I do have 10 Angel Blue Diamonds from Great Lakes Discus (Cary Strong) but I thought I would try something new and I took all the risk with my money. I just could not pass up the thought of importing my own Discus and what I got from Ray Kosaka a few years ago made up my mine for me. If anyone is daring enough to try it, I say good luck on your adventure and check around with the breeders you want to work with. If anyone is interested in the prices I won't post them here but Mr. Chai will send you his for the asking. All his prices were in Singapore Dollars and he gave me a break on the minimum amount I had to order. Once I get my brother to brings me his digital camera I will post some of the Discus I got.
George

chuck
03-25-2003, 10:05 PM
Good Info George..
But I was wondering what the shipping cost?
good luck with your fish
all the best
chuck

Discusgeo
03-25-2003, 10:23 PM
$300 Singapore dollars

Carol_Roberts
03-26-2003, 03:21 AM
Thanks George, that was interesting, but you have to tell us what $300 Singapore dollars equals in US dollars and how long the discus were in transit from Singapore to LAX?

Ryan
03-26-2003, 03:26 AM
$300 Singapore dollars = ~$170 USD.

http://www.xe.net/ucc/

;D

Ryan

gary1218
03-26-2003, 08:27 AM
When you are having the discus flown in can they be flown into any airport?

GARY

Discusgeo
03-26-2003, 08:51 AM
Ryan thanks for the help on the conversion.

Carol I don't know how long they were in transit from Singapore. MR. Chai just gave me the information on when they would arrive, I was at the airport and were on the plane.

Gary imported tropical fish must enter airports that custom has designated Ports Of Entry
http://www.customs.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/ports/

gary1218
03-26-2003, 10:22 AM
George,

Is there ANY information you don't have a web link to ;D

GARY

gary1218
03-26-2003, 10:24 AM
HEY........ I'm in luck. Buffalo, NY is listed as a Port of Entry. Less than an hours drive for me.

GARY

Jason
03-26-2003, 10:32 AM
I ordered from Chai in 95 and was happy,

I heard he doesnt guarantee live arival anymore?

Discusgeo
03-26-2003, 05:28 PM
Gary I did alot of research before I imported my Discus

NickK
03-26-2003, 11:02 PM
I also imported my own discus, but don't you have to select an airport with a US Fish & Wildlife department, not just a Customs Port of Entry?

Nick

Don_Lee
03-27-2003, 02:30 PM
Great thread. Thanks for sharing George!

Don ;D

walton321
03-27-2003, 05:07 PM
I always wanted to get some super melons from Chai as they always place top three in red categories in the discus shows. Please post some pictures when you have a chances. Good luck with them.

Regards
Walton