PDA

View Full Version : Tail standing discus

blackghost
03-26-2003, 01:19 AM
Guys i need help i need it fast, i have to big and nice breeding pairs which have started tail standing i was told it is a gill fluke so i am treatimg them with formalin.
Also they have turned very dark have gone low on diet and the side of the fish looks as if it has lost it's mucus coating, it looks a bit rough.
What should i do?

Carol_Roberts
03-26-2003, 03:07 AM
I'm not real good with diseases and meds, but that does not sound like gill flukes to me. . . . more like a bacterial infection. I don't know what types of meds are available in India. Perhaps one of our other members from India can help you . . .

blackghost
03-26-2003, 08:31 AM
The discus which was tail standing has stopped it but another one started and also i can see white spots on it's tail(no it's not white spot). what do you think.
I am posting a pic of it.

i change water 20% every two days ph is 6.5 hardness is 5dh
temp 28 deg cel.
ammonia is zero
nitrite is zero
:-[ :-[

brewmaster15
03-26-2003, 09:21 AM
Hi Niranjan,
I'm with Carol, Flukes don't cause tail stainding. I'd stop on the formalin and get some water changes going.

when they were tail standing ...how long were they tail standing?, and have these fish actually breed for you? when they tail stand do they hang there motionless? have trouble swimming? or maybe tremble, shimmy , shake?

-al

blackghost
03-26-2003, 11:46 AM
All right then no fluke i thought of that but wasen't confident.
The fish started tail standing 4 days ago i do regular water changes. They tail stand and stay like that, if i go near them they straighten up. I know why think they might be breeding(In photo it's near the pipe thats why) The the photo never laid eggs or paired up. There is a other pair which laid eggs thrice and the femail from this pair was tail standing she has stopped tail standing from today.
The fish in the photo has been tail standing for 2 days.
While tail standing his fins are moveing faster than normal but not too fast.. Do you think it's swim bladder problem.. He eats fine.
Does ph has anything to do with this.
my ph is 6.5
4dh
28 dec cel
no ammo
no nitrite

blackghost
03-27-2003, 12:09 AM
Guys i need help fast the scales of began to fall of should i treate for bacterial infection.I have already added oxytetracycline hydrochloride.

brewmaster15
03-27-2003, 11:10 AM
It sounds like a stress response. When you do your water changes... do you age it? and aerate it? Is there chloramine added to it or other chemicals by a a water supplier?

Is the temperature the same for the water going in the tank, and whats in the tank?

The tail standing with rapid movement of fins ususally is a stress response. My guess its your water. If it was bacterial, it would always be present, the fish would not look fine one day and not again.

Why do have have Oxytetra cycline in the tank? and did you start using it before the problems started or after?

-al

blackghost
03-27-2003, 11:47 PM
Hi, Al
The water changes are fine and there is no chlorine or bleach in water,
The infection is worsened the scales have began to fall of and another one has started tail standing.
It's a sad sight, by the way one of LFS is intrested in buying as it is, i am thinking of giveing up and insted getting some high breed blue diamonds and turqs breeding pairs, i have seen this fishes since they were at the size of thumb nail, the guy is selling them for 65 us dollar a pair and the 4 pairs are fertile i have seen the babies.
All are grown on goat heart no worms at all,
Think i should go for it?

brewmaster15
03-28-2003, 12:44 AM
65 us dollar a pair and the 4 pairs are fertile i have seen the babies.
... sounds like a steal to me. If they are nice looking and you could afford it... I'd go for it. Here pairs go for ~$200-300 for a decent pair!

-al

as for the fish thats tail standing...The oxytetracycline.... add it to the food if they are eating.

blackghost
03-28-2003, 06:11 AM
Hi Al,
That quote feels nice.

blackghost
03-29-2003, 01:28 AM
Hi, Al
Al you were right about the water problem it is the water problem, I am suffering a runny nose so I couldn?t smell it but yesterday when my sis was helping me out with water changes she told me that the water smells like chlorine and I was like OH MY GOD!!!! Then it came to that it?s the bloody chlorine that?s what is killing my fishes.
It looks like chlorine poisoning, what should I do?
Thanks for the help

Carol_Roberts
03-29-2003, 02:18 AM
You can buy dechlorinators like sodium theosulfate (sp?) or you can vigorously agitate your change water for several hours to disipate the chlorine

blackghost
03-29-2003, 05:13 AM
Thanks for the info CR.