PDA

View Full Version : Australian Discus Show Photos - Finally!

BlueTurquoise
03-26-2003, 03:12 AM
The Aquarium Fish and Reptile Expo

Hi all,

This is what happens when you have a traditional film camera! it takes a week or more before you get your photos back, and scanned and uploaded for all to see!

You may have already seen what Rod has posted on this show earlier. He did a very good job of posting pics of the actual fish. My pics are seldom of the fish and more of the show and the people! (dun worry, most of the people I took and are recognisable are of my wife and two brothers and myself!).

Here's Rod's post:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=8129

It was held 2 weekends ago on March 15th and 16th at Rose Hill Gardens, home of the famous Golden Slipper Festival (A horse racing event, after all this is a race course we are talking about!). Admission was $12 for adults however we purchased a family ticket (2A 2C) for $30. Parking was free so that made it alittle better on the hip pocket!

This was only the second year that this show has been running and although it is called "the aquarium fish" it was about 70% Discus, 25% reptiles and 5% other aquarium fish! No big problem for me as I was only there for one thing! hehe

So enough yaking and start showing!

This is the entrance of the show. Stalls, People, Fish!

BlueTurquoise
03-26-2003, 03:13 AM
This is the ADA (Australian Discus Association) Stand at the show.

BlueTurquoise
03-26-2003, 03:14 AM
My wife Jenny. Her facial expression gives away how excited she is to be at the show!!! ;D

BlueTurquoise
03-26-2003, 03:16 AM
This is the setup! WOW... lotsa fish! all discus!!!

10 points on guessing who the person in the yellow was! that's right the handsome devil is ROD! we never met up, but as you can see, how close were we?? :-[

BlueTurquoise
03-26-2003, 03:17 AM
Yet another near miss! Look at Rod's Handsome back nect to Jenny! :o

BlueTurquoise
03-26-2003, 03:19 AM
This is from another angle. Notice the Tetra Bits, 75gram cans? They were a big sponsor of the show? ???

BlueTurquoise
03-26-2003, 03:20 AM
This is the view of the far back of the hall. Look! It's our host Rod! (his head sticks out of the shoulder of the nice Asian man!) haha you handsome devil you!

BlueTurquoise
03-26-2003, 03:23 AM
This was the Novice Category. Prizes were awarded to several different categories. The categories are listed here at their official website:

http://www.ausdiscus.com.au/2003show.html

BlueTurquoise
03-26-2003, 03:26 AM
My unforgettable meeting with Mr Shaifullah Yeng!!! The man himself! He was a very nice guy and I feel very fortunate to have shaken his hand. He has had very many years of experience with discus and his reputation far exceeds his humble stature. Almost a living legend so to speak... wow...

BlueTurquoise
03-26-2003, 03:30 AM
Here are some other living legends, my younger brothers! Charn is 11 and Nick is 6

BlueTurquoise
03-26-2003, 03:31 AM
Here is one of the stands that was selling discus at the show

BlueTurquoise
03-26-2003, 03:33 AM
Some of the other "Aquarium Fish" that were at the show. These are from the Australian Koi Association (?). Anyway they were very nice Koi... so big :o

BlueTurquoise
03-26-2003, 03:34 AM
Ok so here are some of the winners! This is Turquoise champ

BlueTurquoise
03-26-2003, 03:35 AM
The Snake Skin champ. Notice the Hydro sponges and the Via Aqua glass heaters...

BlueTurquoise
03-26-2003, 03:38 AM
And finally the one you have all been waiting for, the GRAND CHAMPION! He is a solid blue from Bay Fish Farm in Singapore(?). Anyway he is an imported fish, just for the show. The owner takes away the 2003 title.

BlueTurquoise
03-26-2003, 03:41 AM
That's it! I hope that the bluriness did not give you a head ache (I forgot my tripod and I only had slow 100ISO film with me, sorry...), and I forgot to tell you that half of them are in Black and White film!

All in all I can't wait for next years show!

PS. Rod I certainly hope that was you in the pics and I was not poking fun at someone else! (not that I would ever poke fun at you or anything...) Dun worry you look fine in the pics! hehe

Your roving reporter, signing off...

Chong

Rod
03-26-2003, 04:16 AM
HAHAHAHAHA Chong, yeah that was me ;D

Nice pics, gets us right in on the action. Thanks for posting the grand champion pic, i've been a bit slack and haven't developed that one yet.

Nice family pic Chong, you have a beautiful wife and handsome little bro's.

Rod

brewmaster15
03-26-2003, 04:33 AM
Hi Chong,
Great photos! Save that photo of you and Shaifullah Yeng. Opportunities like that are far and few between!

I take it tetra was a sponsor of the show? LOL :)

Nice to see the pics of you family as well!

take care,
al

Jason
03-26-2003, 05:07 AM
thanks nice pics!

were you stalking Rod? :P

April
03-26-2003, 06:27 AM
Those are great pics chong. . Nice you got a pic of you with yeng also.
O.K. so...you never met Rod...but at least you found him in the pics with that fancy yellow shirt on. ;D
Thanks for posting them. now i can pretend i went to the show. ;D 8)

BlueTurquoise
03-26-2003, 07:55 AM
Hehehehe Rod! that's so funny! Sooooo close yet so far! Hahaha When I got the pics back I was rolling on the floor laughing! could not believe that all you needed to do was turn around and you'd be in the pic with Jenny and my brothers LOL

Thanks for everyone's comments on Jenny and brothers. My brothers are real cute! The oldest one was born when I was 14 so it feels almost like they are my own children... I love kids...

Al, how can you tell tetra were the sponsors? ::) ;D

April, but you were there weren't you?

Yeah Mr Yeng was the surely a huge highlight...

Chong :thumbsup:

Ardan
03-26-2003, 08:16 AM
Nice Job, Chong!!

thanks for sharing! 8)

April
03-26-2003, 09:39 AM
Yeah Rod.....that was kinda rude of you turning your back on the photo shoot? Chong was trying to get a pic of you with his wife and brothers. LOL. Or were you just trying to show off the pic on your shirt?

03-26-2003, 09:42 AM
Thanks Chong: You did a good job. I was told you can't find good disucs in Aus. Your pic sure has changed my wrong impression. I'm very proud of the Australian hobbyists able to put a show with this caliber. I don't think this will ever happen in Toronto. I can't even start a monthly disucs meeting. People aren't interested. Excellent job!!
Jimmy.

brewmaster15
03-26-2003, 11:29 AM
Jimmy...

I can't even start a monthly disucs meeting... It'd be along drive for me to make it monthly, but I'd love to come up and meet you sometime towards the end of summer for a Discus meeting! :)

-al

thebaglady
03-26-2003, 01:02 PM
Hi Chong, I was watching this story with great interest as my Dad was over in Aussie land for a month between Feb. and Mar.

Unfortunately, he flew home on Mar. 15th plus he was mostly in Brisbane, not Sydney.

Now a couple comments on the looks of your show...very well done!

The tanks are all arranged uniformly and a standard tank size was used. The overall look of the stands (with black or blue) gives a nice crisp appearance to the whole thing. Also the tanks each had a standard hood, same for everybody, these are all little details that make your show "shine". 8)

We have found that putting up a rope, chain helps keep the public from tapping on the glass so that's a good thing too.

Only the second year for this show, amazing! And big prize money insures a lot of entries. Looks like hats off to the Aus. Discus Assoc. team! Great job! :P :D

Discusgeo
03-26-2003, 02:04 PM
Chong_Ly nice job on the photo's and a great looking family. Good to see you got your brothers into the hobby.

03-26-2003, 02:16 PM
Al: You're welcome any time. Just give me a shout.
Jimmy.

Rod
03-26-2003, 04:22 PM
Hi Jimmy,

Reading your post and i was interested to know how you heard about Australia supposedly not having any good discus?? I've been hearing that for years over here and i really don't understand how people think like that. When i first got into the discus hobby, the german discus ruled the way, Heiko Bleher's exwife's sister was married to one of Australia's largest aquarium fish importers so we had quite a few great german discus come in through this time. Also Glasser in Germany supplies Aus with great discus from some of the reputable euro breeders. We are also supplied discus from some of the biggest names in asia. Our biggest problem with discus is access to rare wild fish and the prices we would have to pay for them, but domestics we have been good for many years.

Rod

BlueTurquoise
03-26-2003, 06:38 PM
Hi TheBagLady,

Yeah it was nicely set up and there was a chain/rope about 1.5metres from the tanks, I just have a zoom on my camera and cut it out :) .

Rod and Jimmy,
Yes Jimmy I am not sure where you got that impression from but I think there are many discus enthusiasts here that really know what they are on about. The quality is outstanding in certain aspects, and the hobby as a whole is growing every year with more and more interest from newcommers (like me!). I think it is easier and easier to find a good fish these days...

PS Thebaglady, I am not a ADA member...

Chong

April
03-26-2003, 10:06 PM
Well...all i can say is my favourite fishies came from Australia..... from a nice breeder. ;D.And ive seen and heard about some of the fish that come into the wholesalers and importers and id take most of them.
Guess its just a matter of doing your research into bloodlines etc to know better what your after. and be patient. and selective like anywhere else.

03-27-2003, 12:13 AM
Rod and Chong: It's not from any publication. It came from the personal opinions of the Australian hobbyists I have been communicating for the past few years. Don't pay any attention to it.
Jimmy.

BlueTurquoise
03-27-2003, 12:14 AM
;D

thebaglady
03-27-2003, 12:27 AM
Chong, I'm curious why you're not part of the Discus Assoc. there? (If it's not controversial and you feel like sharing.)

From the looks of their show, they seem like a good bunch.

Again, just curious, Jen K.

BlueTurquoise
03-27-2003, 12:36 AM
It's just not my cup of tea... :-\

Chong

thebaglady
03-27-2003, 01:03 AM
I wish my Dad had been able to attend. Perhaps he could have heisted me some premium fish in his carry-on? LOL

PS I think your little brothers are adorable too! ;)

Rod
03-27-2003, 04:38 AM
No probs Jimmy 8)

April is spot on about the discus, patience and being very selective, and eventually you can find the discus you want here. There definately is a lot of low grade discus available, as there is everywhere i guess, but quality fish are available.

Rod :)

SLY
03-27-2003, 07:24 AM
ya heard lotsa backyard joes over there right rod? ;D ;D

BlueTurquoise
03-27-2003, 06:07 PM
LMAO Sly >:( :whip: ;D ;D ;D

Rod
03-28-2003, 04:17 AM
LOL Sly you devil :flame: