PDA

View Full Version : Another tank filling question

DiscusBoy
03-27-2003, 07:54 PM
Please excuse my ignorance :blockhead:, because I am sure has been answered, but I have never been able to figure out how this works. Even though its fun carrying buckets of water :crazy:, I want to fill my tank in my living room from a storage barrel in my basement with a pump. :book:Reading others posts I know that most people place a submersible pump in the storage barrel and run a hose/tubing to their tank. There are two questions about how this works that I have.

1)   How can I stop the flow of water? ??? I imagine that when filling the tank, at the least when it is almost full, I would need to be by the tank to know when to stop the flow of water. This would prevent turning the pump off, so how could I stop the water? Can a shutoff be placed on the tube and the pump kicks off when the pressure is too high, or do I have to run to the basement to unplug the pump hoping I get there in time before my living room is flooded? :scared:

2)   Does extra water need to be in the storage barrel so the pump does not run dry? ???

Alright, so it’s more than two questions. :wasntme: Think of it as two questions with lots of subsections.

As always, thanks for everyone’s help.:wave:

DiscusBoy

snowshoe
03-27-2003, 08:01 PM
HI,

MOST PEOPLE WOULD USE A WATER SHUTOFF VALVE IN THE WATER LINE FOR FILLING THE TANK. THIS WOULD ALLOW YOU TO FILL THE TANK AND THEN GO TO THE BASEMENT TO TURN OFF THE PUMP. MOST PUMPS DO NOT LIKE TO BE RUN DRY SO EXTRA WATER TO COVER THE PUMP WOULD BE REQUIRED

jeep
03-27-2003, 09:31 PM
Also, someone mentioned a remote controlled outlet adapter. I don't know if it would send a signel to the basement though...