PDA

View Full Version : Help, Sick Discus Advice Needed

Dan Annable
03-30-2003, 10:07 AM
Have a discus with white spot about .3 cm in diameter on the bottom fin.

Here is my question.

I am using coppersafe to treat but I am wondering if I can use Maracyn-Two "with" the coppersafe to prevent or treat a secondary infection.

Fish looks ok and is eating, hopefully I get this right and save my fish.

Not going to add the Maracyn-two until somebody can answer my question.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Ardan
03-30-2003, 10:17 AM
Hi,
What is your wc schedule?

the first thing is to maintain high water quality. Check ammonia/ nitrite
do 30 to 50 % wc's daily.

If it gets worse, use non iodizedsalt up to 1 tablsp/gal.

If that doesn't help, then if you could post a pic, maybe we can tell better if its nothing to worry, or a parasite or fungus, or bacteria.

Coppersafe does work on some parasites, but is hard to get out of the tank and does not mix with a lot of meds. I don't use it much at all.
hth
What size tank, how many fish, how large is fish, what do you feed?

Dan Annable
03-30-2003, 10:57 AM
Thanks Arden. PH is close to 8 and Amonia is 0.

20 Gallon tank with two 2.5 inch discus. they are eating good, looking good. Just noticed the spot this morning.

WC schedule is 25-30 % every two days. I leave the water overnight now instead of simply adding the Aqua plus and dumping it into tank. I understand this is better.

I really saw this spot and now for the life of me I cannot see it anymore!!

Strange. I have already treated with coppersafe. Maybe I should hold off on the Marcyn-Two unless the fish looks worse??

So, not a good idea to treat with both at the same time. The instructions almost indicate that you can but not in a direct fasion.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Ardan
03-30-2003, 11:15 AM
Hi,
I would just do water changes daily for now. DOn't add any more meds or any more coppersafe. Some meds can be mixed with coppersafe (read instructions). many can't be mixed with it.

Glad the spot is gone.

Dan Annable
03-30-2003, 02:00 PM
Thanks Arden for all of your help. Not going to add anything else

Just 25 % water changes per day.

I wish I could explain the spot simply dissapearing. I didn't simply just overreact, it stood out like a sore thumb!!.