PDA

View Full Version : Freeloaders!!! not for those suffering arachnophobia!

brewmaster15
03-30-2003, 02:17 PM
Hi all,
I have some strong suspicions that I have a free loader in the hatchery. I live in a rural area, and have wetlands in the back of my yard. I get all kinds of critters in the basement. I've been catching wood frogs all weekend,, and even a small tree frog. Some times I also get a little flooding.

Well... I was just down in the fish room , and when to cahnge out the water in my fry pans, and take a look at what is hiding behind the tank...

brewmaster15
03-30-2003, 02:18 PM

03-30-2003, 02:20 PM
Hey Al.....

I'm just glad I don't have that problem..... I think I'd rather deal with the gators here ::)

April
03-30-2003, 02:22 PM
ok..if i had that guy in my fishroom...im afraid my fish would never get fed or water changed again. lol.
or...id have to find some big brave guy to come and save me.
think i like beths tadpoles better. now those are cute.

brewmaster15
03-30-2003, 02:22 PM
Now this here little critter is almost 4 inches in diameter, and is scientifically known as Dolomedes tenebrosus... its common name is... none other than "brownish -grey fishing spider" In the wild it actually goes under water, and breathes air from bubbles of air trapped on it hair. Then it sits and waits for a small tadpole, or fish to swim by and then its dinner time.

Now I haven't seen it in the pan, but if you were a hungry fishing spider , and you saw this...

could you refuse it?!

April
03-30-2003, 02:27 PM
get rid of that guy. unless you like him more than those cute little discus fry.

Denny
03-30-2003, 02:30 PM
If they eat tadpoles, I say send it to beth and both problems are solved. ;D

Beth may need a little desensitization first, though

brewmaster15
03-30-2003, 03:27 PM
Could this be happening to your fry?

and to think we blame the parents thinking they ate their fry!!!!....

(this image from...From: Kim Jinsuk <jskim@bulls.kordic.re.kr>
Newsgroups: alt.binaries.pictures.animals,
han.binaries.photo
Subject: FishingSpider_J01-Hunted_a_fish.jpg [1/1]
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 15:25:41 +0900
Fishing Spider
Dolomedes spp.
Scanned from a Korea's monthly science magazine,
"Science Dong-A"(Feb. 1996

Ryan
03-30-2003, 04:23 PM
AAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

*shreiks like a little girl*

THAT is why I don't go out into my garage! If I find one in my room, I'm moving :flame:

DarkDiscus
03-31-2003, 10:19 AM
Al,

I'd have to relocate that fellow out back by the stream! No free lunches around!

John

aloha_discus
03-31-2003, 11:29 PM
Aloha send that free loader my way. I lived in Guam for 7 Years and collected every spider i could find, but mom was not to happy with me. I then changed over to snakes and started bringing home Brown tree snakes, mildly venemous. I did not know that just kept catching them. No bottles, tanks or bucket, just the trusted jeans pockets spiders and all.

Love the oddities.

Mahalo Ike ;D ;D ;D