PDA

View Full Version : Fin Rot

liz
03-30-2003, 07:28 PM
I have been treating two of my Discus for Fin Rot with Melafix and salt but no improvment so far in fact it is getting worse.The fish have darkened in colour still eating ok.What else would you suggest.

brewmaster15
03-30-2003, 10:38 PM
Hi Liz,
Fin rot is caused by many bacterias. And as a result there are many medications that could be tried and could work but it depends on the strain of of bacteria that is causing the problem. It becomes a case of trial and error.

If these fish have had this problem a while and its really bad I would suggest trying a broad spectrum medication... The one that I woudl try first is Aquarium Pharmaceuticals... Furanase. You can buy it at many LFS... Jehmco.com sells the 100 ct bottle for a good price last time I checked.

This med would work best in quaranteen tank, as it may harm bio filters.

If this med in't possible...Then I would try Furan 2, or any meds that say they work on fin rot... if they don't work in 5 days.. you are probably going to need to try something else.

hth,
al

ReeferKimberly
03-30-2003, 10:49 PM
even if you use the meds, as a general cure... do more waterchanges. you could already do 50% a day so maybe you don't need to, but just a suggestion.
kim :-*

brewmaster15
03-31-2003, 01:08 AM
...and its a good suggestion Kim! :)

-al

liz
03-31-2003, 04:21 AM
Thanks I will certainly try the 50% water change.I have examined all the fish this morning and would say they all now have it but two worse than the others.This Furanase is it an antibiotic if it is I cant get it over the counter (UK).I have changed the med to a stronger one to treat Fin Rot.Will see how that does.Failing that I can contact my vet and get an antibiotic.What would you suggest thats if the Furanase is not one.

ReeferKimberly
03-31-2003, 07:20 AM
Well in my experiences, i have not just noticed fin rot overnight. it is usually caused over a long period of time from poor water quality, or sometimes it's damage from fights that may look like fin rot. the way your describing it, it may or it may not be fin rot. but if two of your discus had no sign of i yesterday and today it just showed up, it's proby not fin rot IMO. The only thing i have ever used on fin rot is melafix and clean clean water. are you sure it's fin rot and not some other disease? or possibly a few skirmishes? i'm not sure if you mentioned this, but are there other maybe more aggressive fish in with the discus. its possible they could be causing the problem, as discus are slow moving rather vulnerable fishes.
did you notice i said fin rot 5 times in that paragraph :)
btw, thank you al
kim :-*
HTH

liz
03-31-2003, 10:22 AM
It did not happen overnight I had already been treating them with Melafix and salt.However today I have done a 50%water change and treating them with the new med.On testing the water my PH had fallen a bit so I have got that back up again.They are also looking a bit better today more active.

brewmaster15
03-31-2003, 10:40 AM
Liz,
Furanase is an antibiotic,,,but not one used in animals, or people so you may be able to get it at a petshop.

If you go thru your vet. I would try to see if they will give minocycline, or ampicillian. If that is not possible... Then see if they will give you oxytetracycline.

In the mean while. Can you buy the dye Methylene blue at the petshops? This is sometimes beneficial to use as a dip.

hth,
al

liz
03-31-2003, 08:24 PM
Thanks Unfortunately here in the UK its not possible to buy any form of antibiotics over the counter.I had a word with the vet today so he is going to get back to me to see what he can get me.I feel even if I dont have to use an antibiotic this time it would be handy to have on hand.I may be able to get the dip at the LFS.

CARY_GLdiscus
03-31-2003, 10:41 PM
Try 1 cup of salt per 10 gals. ;)

liz
04-01-2003, 07:24 PM
Fish are a little better today.The vet got back to me and can give me some Oxytetracycline that he has in stock(anything else would need to be ordered in)He has suggested that if there has been a slight improvement that I stick with the Med I am using for the next couple of days and see how things go before trying an Antibiotic.

brewmaster15
04-01-2003, 09:49 PM
Thats sound advice Liz... Give it 5 days... by then an antibiotic for a fish should have started to work.

Keep us posted.
-al

liz
04-02-2003, 04:42 AM
More problems this morning my large Blue Gourami (5years old) that is in my community tank now has the same problem starting of FIN Rot.She is not looking good same loss of colour and breathing heavily.I have moved her to a hospital tank and treating with med.

brewmaster15
04-02-2003, 10:18 AM
Liz,
bacterial fin rot is very contagious. If its in the tank, all are at risk. Be careful that you don't mistake healing for what may be just a slowing down of the rot spreading because as it travels from the softer tips to the base of the fin, the tissue changes and it spreads more slowly. ...

If it has spread to another fish I don't think what you are treating with is working well enough.

hth,
al

liz
04-02-2003, 05:11 PM
On returning home this evening the Blue Gourami is much better swimming around just a little Fin Rot.I am treating it in the hospital tank.This morning it was lying on the bottom of the tank I thought it was going to die given its age.All the other fish in the community tank are ok so far.The Discus (in their own tank) are a lot better today swimming around not hiding in the corner as they have been doing.They are eating ok.No difference in the fins as yet.I am treating with Myxazin its about the strongest med without getting a prescribed antibiotic from the vet.I know how it has spread from the two tanks the syphon when cleaning.I always rinse out but that has not been enough.I have had the odd bit of Fin Rot before but not as bad as this.Anyway at the moment I feel a bit happier and will see what tomorrow brings.