PDA

View Full Version : How much light with out CO2?

Jason60625
04-01-2003, 06:51 PM
I'm almost ready to set up a new tank and need to know how much light to get for it. I will be more concerned with my plants than with discus, but will probably have at least 2.

The tank will either be 36x12x20 or 48x13x20. The fixtures I can buy for the 36" tank are either 96 watts of power compact lighting, 110 watts of the same, or a triple-tube hood of regular bulbs (I assume they are only 20 watts each).

If I get the 55 gallon tank, I have to decide between a 110 and 130-watt power compact fixture, or get a triple-tube fixture of regular flurorescent bulbs.

My question: if I don't intend on supplementing my tank with CO2, how much light should I have? I'm worried about algae. Plants I usually grow are crypts, apons, java fern, anubias barteri nana, hygro, wisteria, etc--the standards.

I've had fine luck with regular fluorescents before, but have never had the kind of planted tank you see in magazines and books. Should I bother with high output lighting if I'm not willing to trouble myself with CO2?

Thanks.

ChloroPhil
04-01-2003, 11:33 PM
With no CO2 I wouldn't touch a PC light. A regular twin tube striplight, a glass cover and a higher than average stocking level will work very well for the plants you listed.

chavez720
04-07-2003, 06:31 PM
Have you tried DIY CO2 (Yeast Sugar Method) or Seachem Excell (Carbon Supplement)? This should give you good results until you save the money for a pressurized system. In the long run you will want to have a pressurized system with that amount of light.

Other wise stick with a couple of strip lights and low light plants